Chapter Forty Eight

A/N -- Got bored

A/N -- Got bored. Did a quick little black and white of Hench featuring a quote from last chapter because I'm in love with her character right now. Hope you enjoy! (Click on it to see the full size)

Also! EXCITING! Right now, Fearless is still in an overhaul. But, I'm actually adding content to the book (off wattpad) and aim to self publish it by the end of next year! (As my chances of traditional publishing were completely shot to hell when someone stole my work). Also, I'm actually heavily considering a Hench prequel after I finish Guardian called "Cricket" (by request of my best friend here), so I'd like to get you guy's thoughts on that.

Iris and Hench walked out of the East Hall an hour later, both still sniffling from their earlier conversation. Iris still held on to the journal. "Are you sure you don't want this diary back? she asked her sister. "I mean... it's yours. " As weird as that still was. Rhalla Elias Gwenneth... damn. Iris was definitely going to take a little while to fully wrap her head around that one.

Hench shook her head. "Nah," she snorted. "Nah, I don't need it. Keep it."

"But it's yours," Iris argued. "You should keep writing in it."

The woman laughed loudly. "Girl, I probably have little dresses that are mine laying around. Doesn't mean I should still try and wear them," she pointed out, and then sobered. "No, that journal means a lot to you. You should keep it. You only went crazy looking for it after it disappeared."

A new thought surfaced in Iris's mind, and immediately, she narrowed her eyes. "Right. Hench, how did you get it anyway?" she asked. "Did you sneak in my room and steal it?"

"If we're getting technical," Hench began with a wink. "I can't steal something that belongs to me. But no, I just asked Kayde to bring it to me and not tell you about it. He's the one that took it from your room."

The mention of his name sent Iris back into a sick sense of dread. Hench seemed to notice, because she placed a hand on Iris's shoulder. "What's wrong, girl?" she asked.

"The guardian trials," Iris answered. "That last trial --I'm not going to lie, you've sent my life into a state of turmoil with that one." It was an honest answer. After a minute, Iris looked up at Hench. "Why did you give me that trial? Why would you make me do something like that to Zayn? To Kayde?"

"Because, girl," Hench said. "I may not say much, but I know things. You had feelings for Kayde, and I saw that. I did it because you deserve to be with the person you care for. Like I said to you earlier in our training, you should always strive to be with the person you're in love with. It's the greatest gift we are given, and I firmly believe that. And I did it because Zayn deserves someone that loves him without reserve... without doubt. He's a good guy, Iris. He's been sniffing down my ass for the last few months in his grand Cricket hunt for you," Hench told her. "He found me too, actually. I'll be mightily surprised if that's not the first thing he says to you when you see him again. Anyways, someone like him is fully deserving of real love. He wouldn't have been able to achieve that in you."