Chapter 24: Exile

6:57 a.m. 16th Peniel 1091.

The sun rose on the horizon, ushering in a new day as two elves and a human-sized direwolf exited the Silverwood Forest. Kira's massive stature drew lots of attention from adventurers hunting in the fields as they walked past. However, the trio paid no heed to the stares as they were engaged in a rather heated discussion.

"What's your class?" Kashi demanded for the nth time. He was determined to find out her secret no matter how many times she rebuffed him.

"You're persistent." Leila sighed, massaging her temple with her hand. "Fine. I'll tell you. My class is Light Hunter."

"Light Hunter?" Kashi frowned. He had never heard of a class like that. "What's that?"

"It's a Unique Class," Leila explained, which caused Kashi's eyes to widen in shock. Unique Classes were special classes which could only be obtained by one person during the game's lifetime. These classes usually had much higher bonuses and stat points compared to other classes. Naturally, they were equally as hard to find and acquire. "To put it in simple terms, imagine a Druid and a Hunter class mixed together. Though my healing and support abilities are nowhere near as strong as a Druid's."

"That's impressive," Kashi praised. "Where did you get that class?"

"Say, Kashi, how come you don't use that weird speech when you're talking with me?" Leila suddenly asked.

"Huh? Why would I?" Kashi rebutted with an incredulous gaze, like she'd asked the most absurd question.

"Why, you ask?" Leila paused, unable to think of a solid reason. "You speak that way to everyone else."

"That's mostly to Residents and people I don't know," Kashi explained. "It's unfair to treat someone I've fought beside in the same manner."

"Ah, I see."

Silence descended for a brief moment, but then Kashi's eyes went wide in shock. "You tried to change the subject. Where did you learn that class?"

"Fine, you win," Leila acquiesced with a chuckle. "Do you know the old man, Fladnag? He told me how to get the class."

Kashi suddenly felt a sense of dread. "What do you mean, Fladnag told you how to get that class?"

Leila sighed and shook her head. "Like I said, when I finished the training, Serti invited me to the Brotherhood. He then told me to go meet Fladnag. He said since you survived I should, too."

"What?" Kashi let out an incredulous laugh. "I was a test subject?"

"Maybe. Who knows?" Leila nonchalantly shrugged like it had nothing to do with her. "Anyway, Fladnag asked me a few questions, and then pointed me to a dungeon where I obtained this class after defeating one of the toughest bosses I've ever fought."

Kashi's expression fell as he listened to her experience. A dark aura of despair could be seen emanating from his body. "You've got to be kidding me."

Leila looked at him with concern. "What are you so upset about, anyway?"

"I was told to raise her for three months," Kashi complained and pointed at Kira, who growled and attempted to bite off his finger. "See? I've had to put up with that for the past two months."

"She doesn't seem bad at all," Leila said as she petted Kira's head. The direwolf closed her eyes as a silly grin spread across her face. "In fact, she's quite cute."

"Cute, huh? How about you keep her?" Kashi joked, but Kira barked fiercely at him, causing him to immediately raise his hands in surrender. "Joking, I was joking."