Chapter 30

Chapter 30 

"Merry Christmas!"

I sprung up from my bed, startled by the sudden shouting in my ear. Josh yelped and fell backwards, making a thud as he hit the carpeted floor. I glanced down and held back a laugh, then yawned.

"What is it, twerp?" I asked, rubbing one of my eyes. Then I remembered what he had shouted in my ear only moments earlier. "Oh, right. It's Christmas."

"Yeah," he grunted. "You didn't have to scare me like that you know."

"Scare you?" I protested.

"Well yeah, I kinda fell off the bed because of you," he retorted. Before I could come up with a sassy comeback, he got up and ran out of my room. I sighed and threw the covers off of me. My phone vibrated from my bed side table and I looked over. It was from Elliott.

My mind flashed back to a week ago, when I had spent the night at his house. My face grew warm, and I knew I was blushing. I still haven't told Chloe about it. She only knows I spent the night at his house. Nothing beyond that, although I was planning on telling her soon.

I picked up my phone and answered the text message. It said: Merry Christmas. I love you.

I smiled and typed back: Merry Christmas to you, too. I love you more.

I put my phone back down onto the table and got out of bed. Noises came from downstairs, and I knew Josh must've seen all of the presents under the tree. Rolling my eyes, I exited my room and hurried down the stairs. I got to the bottom and almost collided with my mom, who was as sleepy-eyed as me.

"Merry Christmas, mom," I yawned. She gave me a small smile and patted me on the shoulder as we walked to the living room together.

"Merry Christmas to you too, honey," she said. When we entered the living room, Josh was waiting impatiently on the leather chair closest to the Christmas tree.

"Calm down, twerp," I said, ruffling his hair. He swatted at me but I dodged and sat on the arm of the leather chair he was sitting in. My dad came in a few seconds later, carrying two neatly wrapped presents in his arms.

"Santa left out two last night," he explained, winking at Josh and I. We glanced at each other and I could see Josh becoming excited.

"When can we open presents?" Josh asked impatiently. I wanted to hit him on the back of the head, but decided it wouldn't be the right time.

My mom glanced at my dad. My dad considered, then nodded. "I guess right now."
"Alright!" Josh exclaimed. "Sweet!"

I waited patiently as my mom began handing out each of the gifts. My mom finally handed one to me and I took it slowly. It was wrapped in red with white snowflakes and a green bow. I weighed it, and it was a little heavy. Unlike Josh, I took my time opening the gifts, not ripping them open like a mad animal. I lightly tore open the wrapping paper and smiled.

"A new phone?" I asked, becoming almost as excited as Josh was. I removed the rest of the wrapping paper and examined the phone box.

"You've been complaining about your phone being crappy, so I got you a new one," my dad said, shrugging and shifting through other presents. I hopped up from the arm of the chair and hugged both of my parents at the same time. They each rubbed my back and patted it.

"Thank you so much," I said.

"You're welcome, sweetie," my mom said in a cheerful voice.

We continued opening presents for another fifteen minutes. Josh got his own laptop, lacrosse and soccer equipment, and a few gift cards to various places. I got gift cards as well, alone with the new phone, and some clothes. The doorbell rang, so I automatically got up and raced towards the door.