Chapter 38 - Good Reception

CHAPTER 38

CAT

Despite her current state of mind, Cat had to admit it was a gorgeous ceremony. The bridesmaids had such beautiful dresses, all a dark blue and ending just below the knee, but it was the bride that stole the show. If Cat could look half as pretty as Kassie on her wedding day, she'd be a very happy lady.

"We should go congratulate them," Cat murmured, more to herself than to Nick as she gripped his arm just above the elbow and led him toward the front of the Church. Her parents had their backs turned, speaking to other guests, so it was a little easier for Cat to make her way over without having her heart hammer out of her damn chest. There was a bright smile on Kassie's face that seemed to light up the whole room, and Cat focused on that instead of her nerves.

"You look so beautiful!" she told Kassie, letting go of Nick just long enough to give the bride a quick hug.

"Thank you, Cat, so do you!" Kassie beamed.

"I sure know how to pick 'em, don't I?" Derek was quick to add, wrapping a lazy arm around his wife's shoulders so that he was showing off the brand new bling on his left hand. "I'm really glad you came... you too, Nicholas. I better not catch you dancing too close to my sister or I'm gonna beat your ass with that cane of yours," he smirked.

A woman from Kassie's side of the family, coming over to congratulate the new couple, looked absolutely appalled by Derek's words and gave Nick a very bothered half-glance. The man just laughed, not even the slightest bit offended.

"I'll keep that in mind," he replied easily, reaching out to shake the groom's hand. "Congrats buddy," he grinned.

"Thank you, good sir," Derek replied.

Kassie hugged Nick without a warning. It caught him off-guard but he quickly recovered, wrapping one arm around her waist while his other hand remained firm around the handle of Duke's harness.

"So where's my little nephew at?" Derek kept the conversation going, apparently oblivious to the growing number of family members lining up, all waiting to speak to them. Kassie smiled sheepishly, gave Cat another brief hug and excused herself to go spend some time with other relatives.

"At my friend's," Cat told him. "We figured it'd be best that way. He doesn't do too well with sitting still... and with everything going on—" Cat trailed off, but the direction of her gaze, locking momentarily on their parents nearby, told Derek all he needed to know.

"Yeah, maybe for the best," Derek shrugged, looking suddenly a little awkward.

"We'll get him for the reception though, until he gets too cranky," Cat assured him.

"Yeah, that'd be awesome! He'll have a bunch of other kids to hang out with too so it won't be too boring for him. Kass has a lot of siblings and they've all got kids," Derek grinned enthusiastically. Just as he brought up the topic of his nieces and nephews, the tiny flower girl and the slightly younger ring bearer came whizzing by. Kassie's niece slammed right into Nick's legs. He stiffened.

"Sorry mister!" she squeaked, looking up at the tall man with wonderment in her eyes.

"It's quite alright," Nick smiled.

"You're very tall! What's your dog's name?" she asked.

"Abigail!" another unfamiliar voice called, and before Nick had a chance to reply the flower girl was whisked away by whom Cat figured must be her mother, considering the striking resemblance.