14. A Confidant

My grandparents rounded the corner just as I placed my bowl in the sink. They were relieved to see me smiling. "Looks like you're still smiling. I'm glad," Grandma Nora said as she hugged me gently. I chuckled and nodded.

"I feel great actually," I answered, "Could you drop me off at the Alpha's house? I need to talk with Luna Addie," I asked. They looked surprised and understandably so. I was willingly going to be around my mate who didn't want me. But he wasn't why I was going, and thanks to Aria, I knew that I didn't follow the typical guidelines for the 'mate: do-or-die' rule. It stung a bit, but it wouldn't kill me.

"I-I'll take you," my grandpa offered. I thanked him before going to grab my coat. In the car, I worked on building up my mental barrier brick by brick until it was in place. It didn't take nearly as long as the first time. I was actually starting to get the hang of it. My grandpa dropped me off and I walked briskly through the cold to go knock on the door.

The temperature was dropping with the evening and I didn't fare well in the cold. The short time I spent outside was enough to make me shiver through my thick coat. Much to my disappointment, Liam was the one who answered the door. He looked shocked to see me.

"Dani, what are you doing here?" he asked shocked. I rolled my eyes as I tried to pull more if my confidence out to the forefront.

"I came to speak with your mom," I said, trying to ignore him. He blinked for a moment as I stood there, shivering. "Is Luna Addie home or not?" I snapped at him. He moved aside and let me in. I released a breath as I moved to warm myself. I shrugged off my coat and hung it on the coat rack near the front door.

"Dani, can we talk for a moment?" he asked. I didn't face him as I headed straight for the living room.

"No, but you can lead me to your mom, or point me in the right direction. I have things to discuss with her," I answered.

"And you can't tell me?" he asked as he stood in front of me. The question was laughable. I couldn't help it when a chuckle escaped. "I'm your mate," he added confused by my reaction. I smiled sweetly and touched his cheek. He relaxed as electricity flowed between us. It felt good, but not good enough to make me forget.

"The only reason you want to talk to me now is because everyone knows the truth, and you're scared... as well you should be," I said to him before patting his cheek and letting go.

"You won't be able to ignore the mate bond forever. It doesn't work that way," he said as he caught my hand in his. I chuckled and released my hand.

"You might not be able to ignore it for long, but I can turn it off completely if I wanted to. It's another perk of being connected to the Moon Goddess," I said with a wink before I took a step back. "I'll find her myself," I said as I turned towards the house. I focused on Luna Addie and felt a pull from her calming demeanor and nurturing spirit. The pull took me up the stairs and to a door. I knocked first and opened the door after being granted entry. Luna Addie was sitting at a desk. She chuckled when she saw my confused expression.

"Lunas have to work, too," she answered my unspoken thoughts. I closed the door behind me and tried to build the walls around the room to keep eavesdroppers from listening. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it was worth a try. "What can I do for you?" she asked.

"I just need someone to talk to. Apparently, I have a connection with the Moon Goddess, Aria, and she's been teaching me these... things, and says I have powers. I needed someone to confide in and she suggested you," I explained. Luna Addie's smile only widened.

"I knew there was something special about you. I'm honored that the Moon Goddess thinks so highly of me," she said.

"She's not really... as depicted in wolf history," I said hesitantly. I told Luna Addie everything, and I started with what Aria told me about my birth. I ended with telling her of my option to break the mate bond with Liam. She was shocked, to say the least. Who your mate was wasn't really a choice for wolves. For a moment, she didn't say anything.