4

The second my eyes open, my mind instantly starts making a list of all the things I need to complete before I leave with Newt. I had already packed, told the landlord I wasn't going to be living here anymore, and managed to get both cats into the suitcase.

     Sable got scared half to death of all the creatures and eventually found comfort in a corner of Newts shack, and Xander could probably have given less of a rats ass. He basically just sat outside the shack door saying, 'I don't like it.' over and over again.

     I giggle at the recent memory of his monotone thoughts. Newt gives me a confused look, as he has been since he met me, when he hears me giggle for a reason he is not aware of. Of course, who would?

     I feel bad for not telling Newt about my unusual ability. I really want to, and I've been meaning to, however; I just haven't found the right moment yet.

     'He told you he's a wizard. What's taking you so long?' Is a question that I'm not too sure how to answer. What is it taking me so long? What's so weird about being able to read animal thoughts? He's a legitimate spell casting, wand wielding wizard. So, what's the hold up?

     I actually remember asking Newt if there were wizards who could read others thoughts. He nodded and said that they were called something... I can't exactly remember what he said. I think it started with an L? Anyway, I don't want to just randomly bring it up. What if he gets mad because I didn't tell him sooner? I just need to find the right moment. Of course, I've been waiting for the "right moment" ever since Newt told me he's a wizard. I probably should have told me then.
                            * * *
     Work has been slow today. No one has come in, not even Mrs. Fleterton. 'What do I do with the clinic? Not enough time to sell it...' I gaze over at Maddy, who's currently filing her nails, and notice something shiny around her left ring finger.

"Maddy?"

     She slightly turns her head to look at me. "Did you get engaged?" I query, my lips thinning into a small smile. She simply nods and continues tending to her already perfect nails. "Congratulations!" I exclaim. Suddenly, an idea pops into my head.

     "And, as an early wedding present, I'm leaving the clinic to you." Maddy instantly sits up strait and stares at me in disbelief. "What? Where are you going? You're going to leave me here by myself? What am I supposed to do with the clinic, I'm not a pet doctor!" Maddy panics, talking faster and faster with each question she throws at me.

     I pause for a moment. I've never seen this side of Maddy before. It's strange. Interesting, but strange. "I'm sorry, Maddy. I've been offered a better job and I have to leave in a few days." I say, packing up the remainder of my things from the clinic. "You can do whatever you want with the clinic. It's yours now." I say, digging my key to the front door out of my pocket and placing it atop the check-in desk. Before walking out of the clinic for the last time, I turn to Maddy, "I hope you have a happy and fulfilling life. It's been a pleasure working with you." I smile at her, then walk out the door, leaving Maddy behind.
                           * * *
I happily stroll back into my apartment, "Newt?" I practically sing his name as I enter. There was no reply. 'Perhaps inside his case?' I stash my tools inside my final suitcase, and head to Newts room. To my delight, I find the brown leather case resting on the floor, the top sitting open at an inviting 90 degree angle. I grab my luggage and begin to descend into the magic leather box.

     I place the remaining suitcase in the back corner of the shack where all my other belongings are located. Mentally double checking to see if I have everything, I turn around and notice Newt peacefully sleeping in his hammock. I smile to myself as I walk over. 'How adorable.' His ginger-brown hair hangs loosely in front of his resting eyes as his chest rises and falls at a steady rhythm.

     As I stealthily make my way towards him, I regaurd my sweet, calico cat partaking in Newt's nap. She's curled up and comfortably snoozing atop his stomach. I internally squeal at how cute they are.

     I slowly approach Newt and gently push his soft hair out of his face. He slightly stirs, but then finds a comfortable position and lies still once again.

     I exit the small shack as quietly as humanly possibly and slowly close the door, making every effort not to make a sound. Successful, I breathe a sigh of relief and begin sauntering about.

     Mindlessly, I begin wandering into the bamboo forest, the place where I had found Newt the first time I came into his case. I tiptoe past the large nest, making sure not to wake the infant occamies. Although successful in keeping the occamies asleep, I accidentally awaken the demiguise. Its big, round, amber eyes stare deeply into mine curiously, as if it's just as interested in me as I am with it. Its eye are beautiful, friendly, and hypnotizing. I can't look away.

     I suddenly feel a warm hand rest upon my shoulder. I turn around and come face to face with a drowsy Newt. I giggle at his disheveled appearance. His curly, messy hair is messier than usual, and he's still wiping the sleep from his eyes. I fix Newts hair as best as I can, "Awe, did someone enjoy their little nap?" Newt smiles and nods. "Indeed I did." I can't help but smile at how adorable Newt honestly is. He notices my gleefulness, "What?" I look at him and repeat his question. "What?"

"What are you smiling about?"

"What do you mean?"

"You seem to be enjoying yourself."

"I assure you I have no idea what your talking about." I tease. Newt face palms and chuckles.

     Suddenly, I hear something growl. Newt perks up and starts looking around. "Did you hear that?" He questions. I nod. We hear the sound again and I turn my head to Newt, my gaze falling upon his stomach. Newt's face turns a light shade of pink. I look up to Newts face and cross my arms. "Have you eaten today?" I ask. Newt looks at the ground in shame as he scratches the back of his head. I roll my eyes and smile. "Come on, I'll cook us some lunch." I say, tugging on his sleeve.