03. He Has a Crazy Creature

"Hey Goldstein," a goblin greeted as the three stepped into an elevator.

"Hey, Red," Porpentina responded, "Major Investigation Department."

Red looked a bit confused, "I thought you was-"

"Major Investigation Department!" the witch interrupted, "I got a section 3A!"

Red gave a look that seemed like he was saying oh well, what can you do? And reached up with his stick to press an elevator button above his head.

When the trio entered the investigative department, everyone in the room turned to face them. Myra could practically feel the tension and anger that enveloped the room.

"I made your position here quite clear, Miss Goldstein," Madam Picquery, the MACUSA president, said stiffly.

"Yes, Madam President, but I-"

"You are no longer an auror."

Realization washed over Myra like a wildfire, the other witch's behavior making a little more sense. It was like when she scolded Viride and then she lashed out at her siblings because of it.

"No, Madam President, but-"

"Goldstein."

"There's been a minor incident-"

"Well this office is currently concerned with very major incidents. Get out."

"Yes, ma'am," Porpentina sighed, clearly feeling humiliated, which made Myra feel even worse for her earlier behavior toward her.

So, when she caught the bemused look on her Echo's face, she didn't hesitate to elbow him.

The blonde watched as Porpentina busied herself with the papers on the wand permit office desk, "I'll need to see your wand and the wand permit," the witch said, " All foreigners have to have permits in New York."

"I have my wand, but not the permit," Newt began pulling his wand out of his coat, "I made a postal application weeks ago."

The blue eyed witch could instantly sense the lie, but forgot about is as soon as she saw the wand in his hand, "Could I see that?" Myra asked cautiously.

Newt seemed hesitant and nervous as to why she was asking after his wand, "I suppose so."

The witch weighed the wand in her hands for a second, "Lime wood, bone and shell core, 14 inches, slightly yielding flexibility," her eyes widened, "This is one of mine."

Newts eyes widened as well, "How can it be your wand Miss Kegley? I got it in a shop called Morrison's back home."

"My grandmother runs Morrison's," Myra replied, "She still sells some of the wands I made when I was smaller."

"Oh, okay then..."

"Could we please get back on topic?" Porpentina asked exasperatedly.

"Of course!" Myra agreed, now chipper.

"Thank you," the other witch signed, "You were just in Equatorial Guinea?"

"I've just completed a year in the field," Newt replied, "I'm writing a book about a magical creatures."

"Like an extermination guide?"

Myra's eyes narrowed dangerously, "You don't mean that."

New looked just as scandalized as Myra, if not more, "No. A guide to help people understand why we should be protecting these creatures instead of killing them."

Porpentina didn't get the chance to respond to both of the negative reactions to her question, "GOLDSTEIN! Where is she? Where is she? GOLDSTEIN!"

Newt brightened when the witch ducked under the desk, an amused smile breaking out over his face. A well dressed wizard stormed over to the desk, moments from when she had ducked down. The wizard frowned, seeming to know where the witch he was looking for was immediately.

"Goldstein!" the wizard shouted once more.

Porpentina slowly rose from behind the desk, "did you butt in on the investigative team again?"

The witch opened her mouth to defend herself, but the man continued, "Where've you been?"

"What...?" the brunette's response was so awkward and pitiful that Myra felt bad for her once more.

The man turned to Newt, "Where'd she pick you up?"

"Me?" Newt looked over at Porpentina, who was shaking her head with desperation.

Newt began to stall, which annoyed the wizard, who then turned to the blonde, "And where'd she get you?"

"I'm here because of him," Myra pointed to Newt, "I'm not here for her."

Even Myra wasn't cruel enough to out the woman to her boss, which made the man even more  agitated, turning back to face Porpentina, "Have you been tracking them Second Salemers again?"

"Of course not, sir."

One of the men from the investigative team, who Myra recognized as Mr. Graves, walked up, his presence made Porpentina's boss cower the slightest bit.

"Afternoon, Mr. Graves, sir!" he stammered out trying to put on a strong facade, and not doing too well at it.

"Afternoon, ah-" Graves paused for a moment, most likely thinking, "Abernathy."

Porpentina stepped forward to formally address Graves, "Mr. Graves, sir, this is Mr. Scamander-" the brunette spoke quickly, seeming extremely eager for someone to listen to her story, "he has a crazy creature in that case and it got out and caused mayhem in a bank, sir."

"Let's see the little guy."

The witch sighed in relief, while Myra tensed up, a reflection of the tension and panic radiating off of Newt as he tried to speak, but was dismissed. Porpentina theatrically placed the case onto a table and threw open the lid, Myra's fingers itched toward her wand with the want to help her  Echo.

When the the contents of the case were revealed, Porpentina's face drained of color and Myra relaxed in momentary relief when she saw that the case was full of pastries. Newt slowly approached from behind her, hesitant, but the tentative expression quickly changed to one of horror when he saw the case's contents.

"Tina..." Mr. Graves trailed off as he began walking away, leaving the trio staring at eachother in confusion.