Chapter 1: Em, You're An Angel

"Mom, I know where to go. I went there for my junior internship last year, remember?" I whined.

I'd been accepted to one of the prestigious universities in the country. Mom had let me go there for 3 months last year without any tears and now that I was studying there full time, she started crying.

"I know but there are more dangers and you're able to legally drink now," she mumbled that part, "I just want my baby to be safe." She started crying even more.

"Mom. You can stop crying," I pulled her in for a hug, "Dad's there. He'll check up on me. And I promise to come visit."

She removed herself from the hug and looked at me, "Your dad isn't responsible. He doesn't care like I do."

"Okay, now that was just mean. I'm still his daughter. Just because he has a girlfriend my age, doesn't mean he doesn't care."

My mom chuckled through the tears, "Yes, that was mean. Sorry, I'm just really worried but it's true sweetie, I can't rely on your father to always be there."

"I understand. Now I really have to go. I love you." I said walking out the door towards my car.

"Wait!" My mom screamed to me. I turned to look at her tired of her protectiveness. "Your sister wanted you to have this." She passed me a small box with a thick book. I started to tear up myself but stopped before it got mom going again.

"Thank you." I whispered taking the items from her and giving her one more hug.

She was waving frantically to me as I drove away. Glad to have more freedom, I blasted my radio and arrived in front of my childhood best friend's house.

I pulled out my phone about to text Skylar but as I did so the door opened and she stepped out screaming behind her, " Yes I've packed everything! Em is here I need to go! I'm going to be late! Bye!"

I stepped out to help Sky carry her bags, "Who knew moving 7 hours away made old people so emotional?" She greeted me.

I laughed at her comment and then Mrs James walked out tear streaked face, "Sky you forgot your -! Oh hi Emilia." She wiped her face "I'm so glad you two are living together."

Sky and I looked at each other. We'd always wanted to live together since we were kids and slept over so often we practically did live together.

"Here's the food I made for you incase you forget to eat."

I laughed, "She definitely won't." Skylar  glared at me.

Mrs James relaxed more and stopped crying, "Oh Em, you're an angel." I mentally laughed at her comment, she really had no clue, "Okay sweetie I'm going to say bye now. I love you so much and remember this university of yours is expensive so no fooling around. Especially boys, they'll be there - "

Sky rolled her eyes, "when I'm done studying. Yes mom, I know." Sky gave her mom a hug, "I love you."

"I'm sorry your dad couldn't be here today with his business trip. It was the worst time."

"I know mom but don't worry I'll message him when we're there." She said getting into my car.

"And me!"

"Yes mom, you too." Sky laughed.

"I love you girls! Drive safely!" Her mom was waving more than my mom had and I was worried she was going to knock herself out with her flailing arms. Sky leaned over and made the volume louder as soon as we were around the corner singing along to her favorite song.

"I can't believe we're finally free!" Sky shouted, then singing again. I finally joined her as we harmonized.

"Shit Em!" Sky started. I knew exactly where this was going, "I don't get why you're majoring in whatever that crap is when you could be a pop star with so many hot groupies."

"And creepy." I mumbled.

She leaned over and turned the volume down, "You know your voice is like no other girls'."

I looked over at her briefly, "Thanks," I said sarcastically.

"Ah come on you know how much I love your voice. What I mean is -"

"Yeah yeah, heard it all before. I have a deep voice that can't reach the lower notes like most girls. Which basically means that I sing like a dude..."

She sighed, "I'm not arguing about this and I need food so pull over at the next stop so I can get something."

"Yes ma'am." I joked, saluting her.

"That's what I like to hear!" She said in a deep, commanding voice.

Please comment and vote xx