The Niffler

Newt's POV

Jacob and I walked along a deserted street on the way to Central Park. The shops around us were high end and expensive, especially the jewelry shops. I knew a certain creature who'd love to be hanging around here . . .

"I was watching you at dinner," I said to Jacob.

"Yeah?" Jacob asked.

"People like you, don't they, Mr. Kowalski?" I asked.

"Oh—well, I'm—I'm sure people like you too, huh?" Jacob said.

"No, not really," I said honestly. "I tend to annoy people."

"Ah," said Jacob.

Jacob was a rather odd person: pretty intriguing for a muggle.

"Why did you decide to be a baker?" I asked.

"Ah well, um—because I'm dying—in that canning factory," said Jacob. "Everyone there's dying. It just crushes the life outta you. You like canned food?"

"No," I answered.

"Me neither. That's why I wanted to make pastries, you know. It makes people happy," said Jacob. "Come on, it's this way." Jacob headed off to the right.

I followed. "So did you get your loan?" I asked.

"Er, no—I ain't got no collateral. Stayed in the army too long, apparently—I don't know," Jacob explained solemnly.

"What, you fought in the war?" I asked, surprised.

"Of course I fought in the war, everyone fought in the war—you didn't?" Jacob said.

"I worked mostly with dragons, Ukrainian Ironbellies—Eastern Front," I said.

I suddenly stopped walking. There was a small, shiny earring on the top of a car bonnet. My eyes moved downwards. Diamonds were scattered across the pavement leading toward the window of one particular jewelry store.

I stealthily followed the trail, creeping past shop windows. Something caught my eye and I pause. Very slowly, I tiptoed backwards.

The Niffler was standing in a shop window. In order to hide, it was mimicking a jewelry stand, its little arms outstretched, covered in diamonds. I stared at the Niffler in disbelief.

The Niffler slowly turned to me, making eye contact

Suddenly the Niffler is off: scurrying farther into the shop

Suddenly the Niffler is off: scurrying farther into the shop. I whip out my wand.

"Finestra." The window glass shattered and I leaped inside, pulling open drawers and cupboards furiously, desperate to find the creature.

Jacob stared at the scene, then down the street. I probably looked like I was trying to loot the jewelry shop.

The Niffler appeared, scurrying over my shoulders in an attempt to get higher and away from my clutches. I jumped onto a desk after him, but the Niffler was now balancing on a crystal chandelier. I reached out in an attempt to grab him but tripped. Both the Niffler and I were now hanging from the chandelier as it swung wildly around.

Jacob looked around the street nervously, checking if anyone else could hear this chaos.

Finally, the chandelier crashed to the floor, smashing into pieces. The Niffler was back on its feet and it clambered across cases of jewelry.

I was still in hot pursuit.

A catch opened on my case and a roar came from within as I ran past it. Jacob looked fearfully towards the case.

I followed the Niffler up onto a jewelry case that couldn't hold out weight. The case, with both of us on top, fell and rested precariously against one of the shop windows. Both the Niffler and I became very still.

Through the glass, I saw Jacob move towards the case to close the latch

Suddenly a crack appeared in the window. I watched, helpless, as the crack spread across the pane of glass. The window burst open, shattering across the pavement. The Niffler and I crashed to the ground. The Niffler was still for a moment before it took off again down the street.

I gathered myself, drawing my wand. "ACCIO!"

The Niffler drifted back through the air in slow motion. It was trying to run while floating. Jewels fell from his pouch and scattered across the street and all over Jacob and I.

I muttered a spell to turn the jewelry store window into a sticky jelly which caught the creature

"Happy now?" I asked the Niffler as I pulled it from the window. I shoved him back into the case.

Suddenly, two officers approached us. "Hey!" one yelled.

Jacob and I raised our hands in innocence, jewels falling off our shoulders.

"They went that way, officers," Jacob said.

The officers made a lunge for us. I quickly grabbed my case and Jacob by the arm, disapperating.