Chapter 7

Stranger Things, anyone? ;)

- Akaichi

*without further ado*

CHAPTER 7:

"Goddamnit!"

Noya hissed. He threw the tree branch that he was using to clear away his path of wild grasses and plenty other plants frustratedly. Of course, he picked it up again because he needs it as they wander around this labyrinthine forest.

He just really have to physically express his frustration or else, he'll fucking explode.

It's more than 24 hours already since they last seen Hinata and Yamaguchi. He and Tanaka had been looking for their two friends everywhere but it feels like they're just going in circles. They're both tired, frustrated and scared shitless that they might never see Hinata and Yamaguchi ever again.

No! No negative thoughts! Stop right there!

He have to push the negative thinking away. Their friends could be safe anywhere, albeit hungry and scared as well just like him and Tanaka. They should not give up. Though he is also starting to think if they have to choose their priority: the Herb Hunting, or the search for their missing friends?

Noya prayed to all their town's gods and goddesses that they wouldn't reach to that point.

Tanaka groaned next to him, "Noya-san, let's take a quick rest for a bit. I think the soles of my feet's been scraped and peeled off from all the walking." He didn't wait for Noya to answer as he already flopped down the roots of an old tree with a satisfied grunt. Tanaka stretched his sore legs in front of him and massaged them. God, if only he wasn't as manly as he is, he's going to cry from all the aches on his body.

The urge to continue to look for their missing companions is strong but they also couldn't ignore their body's cry for a rest. What else could they do anyways if they tired themselves out so much they couldn't even walk anymore? Nothing. So rest they should.

Noya was just about to settle down next to Tanaka when he heard the bushes on his right shuffle. They both froze, eyes wide staring at each other. The rustle of the bushes just lasted for a few seconds then everything went quiet. Could it be some critters? The forest is filled with them of course, silly them. No need to be scared, right?

Right.

Noya started to take another step when the rustling returned. He was just in time to take hold of his dagger on his left hip when he noticed a looming presence at his back. Remembering what Saeko-neesan taught him, he side-stepped to his right and ducked to dodge the long arms reaching for him. He then grabbed said arms and pushed the back of the man's knee forward, causing the stranger to fall down. In a flash of limbs and arms, Noya successfully pinned a grunting large man, chest first on the forest floor, right arm bent on his back and Noya's dagger dangerously kissing his neck.

"Who are you?" Noya growled, pressing the tip of his dagger closer to the man's skin who groaned helplessly under him. "Answer me!"

"Noya-san!"

Tanaka's horrified shriek made Noya froze. When he looked up and saw his friend, he practically paled.