Chapter 6 - "Do you realize that your family has a gambling problem?"

"Remind me why we are here again?" Elliot asked.

Around her the sound of hundreds of people echoed off the mall's tiled floor and walls. Clusters of young girls poured in and out of stores, bags bearing bare chested man clutched in their hands.

"We are buying dresses for the rehearsal dinner," Cece said. "As well as picking up our bridesmaid dresses."

She stopped in front of a store window and cocked her head. Elliot settled beside her and mimicked her position.

"What do you think?" she asked.

"Huge fan," Elliot said.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"I prefer the light over the dark," Cece said.

"Can you pull off brown?" Elliot asked. 

"I can if I need to. I could get the dress custom made."

They both continued to stare at the display of boxes of assorted chocolate.

"A chocolate dress. It might be stiff, but I could eat part of it during the rehearsal dinner," Cece said.

"California wedding in July, remember?" Elliot said.

Cece made a face.

"So I might end up melting," she said.

"You would leave a huge mess on the floor." 

"I'd be naked half way through the dinner."

"It wouldn't be the first time." 

"Yes, but this isn't Michelle's fifth birthday party. And I'm not three."

Cece looked to Elliot.

"Keep searching?" she asked.

"Keep searching."

They kept moving, giving stores half hearted glances. Music played through speakers, drifting over the sounds of voices.

"Come on, we're going in here," Cece said.

They stepped into a smaller shop, elegantly designed and playing soothing music. Elliot looked around at the rows of flawlessly stacked shirts and cardigans.

"Gosh, I hate shopping. Why people find it entertaining it beyond me," Elliot said.

Cece casually picked up a top and looked it over.

"It fills the hole in their life," Cece said.

"I have no hole in my life. And if I did have a hole, ice cream would have already staked it's claim."

Cece replaced the shirt and moved further into the store. They entered a section filled with racks of dresses and Cece swept her arms wide.

"Ha! We have found it. The pot of gold at the end of our rainbow. The X on our map. The salt to our pepper," she said. *

"That's what you've said at the last two stores. I still don't think the last one works."

"Fine. You figure out the third one out."

Cece moved to the closest rack and started looking through it.

"The America to our Columbus," Elliot said.

"The lightbulb to our Edison," Cece said.

"The fat lady to our Opera."

"The blog to our sad introvert."