Anything's A Dildo If You're Brave Enough

Chapter 13: Anything's A Dildo If You're Brave Enough

((Playlist: The Irony of Choking on a Lifesaver by All Time Low))

Jackson flipped on the light to the basement and walked down. Sophie followed, getting more and more creeped out by each step she descended.

Jackson opened a closet door and rummaged around inside. "Not here, not here," he muttered as he tossed things aside. "Aha! Here it is!"

He turned and held up a wooden board covered in letters, numbers, and a few phrases like 'hello' and 'goodbye.' A plastic triangle with a small windowed hole in he center was in his hand.

He plopped down on the shag carpet and placed the plastic thing on the board. Sophie pointed to the plastic piece and asked, "what's that?"

"The planchette. It moves to the words and whatnot on the board to get the spirit's message across."

"And what is the spirit's message?"

"I don't know, whatever it wants to tell us."

"Will it be creepy?"

Jackson smiled widely. "Perhaps."

Maybe it was just the coolness of the basement, but Sophie suddenly got a chill.  I should have brought a sweatshirt, she thought forlornly as Jackson placed both of his hands on the planchette so only the tips of his fingers rested on the edges.

"Put your hands like this on the other side of the planchette." Sophie followed suit.

"Now, we need to make two circles around the board- one for each person playing." Together, Sophie and Jackson moved the planchette in two tight circles around the board.

"Don't take your hands off the planchette," Jackson warned as Sophie went to brush aside her hair..

"Now what?" Sophie blew a puff of air at the stubborn strand of hair dangling in her face.

"Now, we ask it questions." Jackson looked up at Sophie. "Ladies first."

Sophie scowled. "No way am I going first."

With a laugh, Jackson said, "alright then. What is your name?"

Nothing happened. "Isn't this thing supposed to move?" Sophie wondered.

"Maybe the spirit is a little shy. What is your name?" He asked again, more clearly.

The planchette remained inert. She gave Jackson a skeptical look. "I'm seriously questioning your Ouija skills-"

Then, it suddenly moved, first drifting over to the R. And then the O. And the S. And E.

Rose? I have a grandmother named Rose. Well, HAD a grandmother named rose. At first, a shiver crawled down Sophie's spine, but then she remembered that, of course, none of this was real. "Really funny, Jackson," she said.

He gave her a strange look. "What?" he asked. "You're the one who moved it."

"No I didn't," he deadpanned, "I thought you did it."

"Here's a better question: How did you know my grandmother's name?" she prompted him.

Something almost fearful crept into his eyes. "I don't know your grandmother's name. Sophie, I don't even know your parents' names."

This time, a shiver really did creep up her spine. Shoving her unease aside, her looked at him. "Well, ask it another question. Ask something easy, to start out with."

Jackson thought a moment before saying, "Who is Sophie's best friend?"

The planchette floated around again, spelling out a name: