Chapter Three

The redhead girl hadn't even thought to utter a reply. I strutted along to make it home before it went completely dark. The half moon was already shining weakly in the late afternoon sky and it wasn't exactly chilly but it wasn't exactly warm either. I took long strides to quicken the pace along the sidewalk. The house loomed into view not very long after and I jogged towards it just as the first sign of darkness was about to show. My short legs quickened the pace going up the driveway and onto the porch before bursting into the house. I hadn't spotted any cars coming up the driveway which meant Helen wasn't home as yet, probably a good sign.

The house smelled highly of cheese pizza and beer and there was no sign of anyone inside either. I took the stairs two steps at a time to get to my bedroom on the second floor; it took more energy and effort to make the leap considering I wasn't very tall.

A little out of breath and slightly wheezing, I stopped to catch my breath at the top of the staircase, ignoring the stiffness in my leg muscles. There was still no signs of Adam anywhere as the house was in complete silence. He had probably left after I had gone to the park, but that doesn't explain the food smell coming from the kitchen. It seemed I had the house all to myself. This day just kept spitting out more and more surprises. I sauntered towards my room feeling thrilled, my heart still thumping from exhaustion.

I stopped outside the bedroom door in the quiet hallway. No sound came from Adam's room. I didn't have time to care if he was still alive or not. I was shocked to see that my bedroom door had been refurbished already. That was quick, and I thought I would have to wait another couple of days before it was fixed. Content and quite relieved, a grin stretched it's way across my face from ear to ear. I reached out my arm and gripped the doorknob turning it before pushing the door forward as it swung open on its hinges. The doorknob slipped from my loose clutch and the wooden door collapsed to the floor with a loud bang.

I gaped at it shocked and frozen in place.

"Ba ha ha ha ha!"

My eyes flickered towards the guffaws of two boys howling with laughter. Brett's cell phone was trained on me while he laughed, and Adam was next to him laughing his gut out at the look of complete disbelief on my face. These morons had been hiding out in my bedroom doing God knows what; waiting for me to arrive home to open the door so they could tape my stupid reaction as it tumbled to the ground before my eyes once more?

Adam the idiot did it again!

"You two better get out of my room or so help me God!"

I clenched my teeth, a burst of anger surging in my chest.

Grinning, and still recording they hurriedly left the room before either of them could feel the full extension of my wrath.

Immature monkeys.

I would have slammed the room door only it was now on the floor. Infuriated I stepped on the door and stomped across the room before locking myself in the bathroom. I turned the tap on and splashed my face with cold water, trying to alleviate the resentment towards Adam and quite frankly everyone I've come across today.

I pulled off my jacket and shirt then my shoes and pants and finally my undergarments before stepping into the shower. The smell of bubblegum shampoo and body wash was enough to take my mind off how upset I was. I stood transfixed under the shower just letting the warm water run down my face and body for a couple minutes. Using a giant towel, I wrapped myself in it like a sushi roll before drying my dampened ombre honey gold and dark brown hair.

I walked back out into my bedroom while Adam's voice seeped up the stairs coming from the sitting room on the ground floor. I scoffed at Brett's hoarse laugh which was the epitome of irksome. Walking into the walk-in closet I took a pair of baggy shorts and a tee shirt throwing it on after I had pulled on clean undergarments. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and scoffed at my baggy sleep-deprived eyes and matted hair. I got out a brush and pulled my hair into a high ponytail using a hair tie to secure it in place before using another to wrap the gold ponytail ends into a bun.