16. Busy Moon Goddess

The next day at school was pretty calm, but it felt like the eye of a hurricane. It was a brief calm in the middle of chaos and I knew it. I was on my toes for Liam due to Aria's words of warning. Aria made it seem like it was important that I let it happen, but there was no way in hell I'd let Liam get away with a move like that after everything he'd done so far. Mya was happy to see me as I walked to my locker. She was wary of if I was going to explode in fear or sass, but happy to see me nonetheless.

"Hey," she greeted me. I felt Liam's eyes on my back I glanced only long enough to see that he was alone. No Sophia in sight. He passed and I released a breath, turning back to my locker.

"What is up with you two? You've been at it like cats and dogs since you met," she asked. I shrugged.

"That was just the aftermath of a very awkward dinner," I explained. Her eyes widened.

"You went to the Alpha's house? You had dinner with his family? Sophia never even sat with them for dinner," she said. I only shrugged.

"Luna Addie was a close friend of my mother's before she died. We talked for a bit and then she invited me to dinner," I said dismissively. "We're going to be late for class," I said as I closed my locker. Mya silently agreed with me as we parted ways and went to our respective classes. I sat away from Liam, conscious of his thoughts. They were thoughts of longing and regret.

Good.

Not even five minutes into the class, I was called into the principal's office. I made my way there curiously, unsure of what was going on. When I got inside, I saw a pale, white-haired figure floating opposite of the room from a very flushed and fearful-looking Principal Scotchman.

"Aria," I said in amusement. She smiled back at me.

"My child," she replied; her voice changed to sound like an angelic echo. "I was just explaining to your principal how you'll be leaving school to study under me from now on," she said. I wanted to laugh at this because it was so different from the Aria I knew, but I kept my mouth shut as I bowed my head briefly.

"I'll go gather my things," I said eagerly. I was trying to prevent the kiss from ever happening. She shook her head as she smirked at me knowingly.

"You will be free to leave after certain events have occurred," she said before placing a kiss on my head.

"You've got to be kidding me," I deadpanned. Principal Scotchman looked scared for me while Aria only laughed; her goddess-like laugh sounding like clear chimes.

"I will see you when you return home," she said before a bright light soaked her up and the room was normal again. She was gone. My principal was shaking in his seat as he finally plopped down in the chair behind his desk. He looked at his desk, not knowing what to do, so I left and went back to class. I slid back into my seat right before the bell rang. When it did, I tried to leave quickly, but unfortunately, Liam caught up to me.

"What was that about?" he asked. I shrugged.

"I'm being pulled from school," I answered simply as I kept walking.

"What? Why?" he asked, getting angry. I smirked, keeping my eyes forward.

"Aria thought my studies would be better learned under her guidance. What I need to learn, this school can't teach," I answered. He stopped me from walking any further by standing in front of me; putting us at a standstill in the middle of the hallway.

"Why is the Moon Goddess so interested in you?" he asked accusingly. My lips quirked in amusement.

"Surely you didn't think any of what I could do was by chance, did you? You had to know something was different about me. Or were you too concerned about what other people would think if you were seen talking to me?" I shot back at him.

"I'm not embarrassed of you. I'm embarrassed of myself," he admitted reluctantly. I scoffed before trying to step around him.

"Whatever," I muttered. I felt it the anticipation of nerves coming off of him in waves, but I couldn't place what it was for. Everything seemed to slow down as he pulled me back to face him and pushed his soft lips against mine. Time seemed to stop as sparks flew and seemed the tingle through my body. My body felt like it was completely under his control. I felt breathless as my heart started pounding in overtime. I was completely frozen. It was like nothing I'd ever felt before. Aria tried to warn me, but I underestimated the power of the mate bond. I greatly underestimated what Liam's touch could actually do to me. I should have known better.

I did know better.

I pushed him away to put space between us. By now, everyone stopped in shock as they watched us. Despite myself, my vision blurred. My reflex was to slap him, which is exactly what I did. I should have been better prepared. But then again, I'd never been kissed before ever; let alone by my mate. I didn't know what to expect, but now I knew. Liam had somehow gotten ahold of my wrist. His eyes searched mine, willing me to listen. I knew what his words would be before he even opened his mouth, but I didn't stop him this time. I didn't trust my own voice.

"I am truly sorry, Dani. I never meant to hurt you. I was a coward. Please... let's just start over," he begged. I kept the distance between us as I took a shaky breath.

"I-I need time... to think," I said quietly, trying to get a little privacy from the curious eyes. "Don't follow me," I added before I turned and went to my locker. I grabbed my things, leaving all of my books, and headed towards the front of the school.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Mya asked, jogging behind me to keep up.

"Home. I never should have come today. I knew this was going to happen. She told me so and just let it!" I ranted angrily, and mainly to myself. Mya stopped me in the parking lot. I took a breath, creating a visible cloud in front of my face as the cold hit me like the end of an ice whip.

"You're Liam's mate... that's how you knew Sophia was a fake. And he was just going to go along with it?" she realized. I hesitated before letting out a sigh.

"I really just need to go home right now," I said softly. She quickly pulled out her keys.

"I'll take you," she offered. I gladly followed her to the car. Inside, she blasted the heat for me and my teeth chattering began to subside. "I'm sorry," she said as she drove. I only shrugged.

"I really don't want to take about it," I said as I looked at the passing scenery out the window. The rest of the ride was quiet except for the occasional directions. She parked in front of my house with a heavy sigh.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" she asked unsurely. I sighed myself before I shook my head.

"Aria pulled me out of school. I won't be going there anymore," I answered.

"That sounds like... such an honor," she said, shell-shocked. I shrugged.

"Sometimes... sometimes it's a burden too," I muttered to myself. "I'll call you later though," I offered. We shared a quick goodbye before I rushed inside to warmth. Going to the living room, I was met by my grandparents and Aria in her wolf-depicted form from the principal's office.

"You sure have been busy today," I said a bit bitterly as I dropped my bag on the couch. My grandparents' eyes budged at my brashness.

"Daniella, manners!" my grandma said out of fear of what Aria would do in retaliation. My grandma was about to apologize for me but Aria just laughed.

"You're acting more and more like me every day. Come on, let's get started with your lessons," she said as she glided past me and out the door. I took a breath before I followed her, grabbing a scarf for extra warmth on the way out.