10.

❝They say I gotta learn but nobody's here to teach me.❞

I woke up, my eyes opening up to a night sky before me. Echoes of leaves rustling, birds chirping, crickets rubbing their wings together. I pivoted my head, scanning the area. I was confused as to where I was and why I was here. Lifting myself up, I began walking forward, ducking branches and pushing pass large banana leafs. After weaving through the large vegetation, I saw the moon shining brightly, it reflecting on each blade of grass. Murmurs of a drum beats and chanting, caught my ears as I continued to walk through the grass. In the distance I smell the scent of burning wood, the smoke floating upwards.

It didn't take long for me to find a spot behind some tall grass, a comfortable distance away. I watched as a women danced around a fire, two men banging on large drums. A woman with wild curly hair that was as black as the night sky above all of us, stood in front of the fire. I couldn't make out her face because only her back was facing me. With a loud cracking sound the fire erupted turning into a turquoise and blue flame. I could feel my eyes grow in awe at the sight before me.

A loud snapping noise caught my attention, I turned my head looking around. It was nothing, I shrugged my shoulders until I heard again. I turned to my left looking in the distance. Suddenly I felt something grab my wrist. I looked down to a hand with a strange symbol on the middle of it, I felt a burning sensation on my skin, so much I screamed out in pain.

My eyes shot open, raising up clutching my chest. My heart was thumping against chest. I looked wildly around the room I was in. It was my bedroom. I sighed deeply, trying to rein in my emotions and recollect my emotions. The dream that I had felt so real. Entirely too real. Maybe it was a message I had to decipher, maybe it just some wild fever dream. Whatever it was I didn't have necessarily have time for it now, I did need to do was find out what happened after I got knocked out by the red head.

I lifted the covers, swinging my legs off the bed heading towards the door. I twisted the door knob opening my bed room door I heard murmurs of voices and oil popping in a frying pan. I walked further down the hallway to my kitchen, seeing my aunt at the kitchen stove and my brother sitting on the counter. They both turned to me with warm smiles.

"She's awake!" Derrick he spoke clapping his hands together

My aunt turned a dial on the stove top before walking over to me. She wrapped her arms around me, embracing me. I embrace her back, laying my head on her chest.

"I'm sorry," she whispered

"You've shouldn't have seen me in that way." She released me smoothing my hair gently

I smiled weakly at her.

"I may disagree but I get it."

"Get what?"

Katherine and I both turned around looking at Derrick. I glanced my aunt wondering if she was going to tell him the truth. She cocked her head to the side.

"Oh, just something that happened. Nothin' to mull over. Let's sit and eat." Katherine spoke as she clasped her hands together

Derrick shrugged lifting himself off of the counter and our aunt went back to the stove, stirring what was in the pan before turning the burner off.