Chapter Twenty-Three

      “I don’t want to!” I whined.

      “Jules! Shut up!” Owen sighed.

      “No! That’s seriously animal cruelty, I will not participate in this experiment!” I said, crossing my arms firmly over my chest. Cutting a frog open? No way. I know, I know, I’m Jules- I’m supposed to be tough, and strong, and able to do sick stuff like this; but no, not today. I don’t really feel like ripping a poor little froggy apart just so can I “learn something about anatomy” or some shit. That’s just awful in my opinion. Don’t worry, I’m not going to turn into an animal activist or anything, but right now, in 10th grade biology, I will not cut open that frog.

      “Suck it up, or go over to the girls table where they’re doing this with a plastic model,” he said.

      “You know what, I think I will. Bye Owen,” I said, lifting my binder off the gruesome lab table.

      “Bye Jules,” he said, probably thinking I’m just as wimpy as the others… which to be fair, I totally am.

      “Your girlfriend’s over there, right?” I said.

      “Who? Charlotte?” he questioned, his cheeks flushing with the embarrassment at the mere mention of the word ‘girlfriend’. Owen’s a quiet guy, and from what I’ve heard, he hasn’t dated a lot, and Charlotte’s his first real girlfriend. I think he likes her a lot. Love- I don’t know, but he definitely likes her.

      “Yes Charlotte! Unless of course you have another girlfriend we don’t know about…” I smirked. Owen wouldn’t do that. But then again, I thought Josh wouldn’t either, and he disappointed me, so you never know.

      “How about you just leave now?” he pleaded.

      “Alright.”

      “Goodbye Jules,” he said.

      “Bubye Owen!” I said, skipping over to the last table in the corner of the room where a group of girls were seated, all of whom had a combination of boredom and anxiety splashed across their faces.

      “Hi Julia!” Charlotte said, glancing up from a worksheet in front of her.

      “It’s Jules, and hey,” I said, dropping my stuff down on the floor beside the table.

      “So, why exactly are you over here?” she asked, carefully writing something down in her scarily neat hand writing.

      “I didn’t feel like cutting open a frog today,” I said.

      “Well that’s understandable, it’s pretty gross,” she said, smiling politely at me.

      “That it is. So what exactly are we doing over here?”

      “Studying the model,” she replied, picking up an artificial organ belonging to the frog.

      “Oh. Sounds… boring,” I said, looking around at the other girls who were all either sleeping or doodling. “I’ll be right back…”

      “Where are you going?” Charlotte asked.

      “I don’t know,” I answered, quickly walking away from the table, and excusing myself from the room.

      As I entered the locker lined halls, I quickly grasped the realization that they were bare. There was no one there. It was a weird feeling; being alone in such a big school, and yet knowing that behind a door lay twenty some kids in class. I don’t like being alone. I like to be near people.