24. food fights and flowers

J A Y

J A Y

Colin ran up to me as I exited my classroom; he gripped my shoulder and sucked in air like he'd been underwater for a minute. Putting a hand on his shoulder, I tried to steady him as he looked through his blond hair to me.

"Jay," His voice was breathless and hoarse, "Ugh, I need water. Anyways, I was wondering... Well, Soren said you worked at a café."

"A smoothie bar." I corrected and watched as he took a step back in thought before asking me seriously, "Can you cook? Or bake?"

I shrugged, "I make food for my dad and I sometimes. So yes, I think I can. Why?"

He ran a hand through his hair stressfully, "See, the thing is... I kinda failed one of my tests and I need to tell my mother BUT she'd kill me and I'm too good looking to die." He grinned, "This is where you come in. The plan is to make her something—food I mean—and then tell her. You know, to get on her good side."

I stood in the hallway in shock for a moment before I nodded slowly, "When? What do you want me to make? Wait, why not got one of the maids?"

He blinked in disbelief and hissed seriously, "Those are her eyes and ears. They talk about us to her all the time. Not one of them trusts us after the eggnog incident." He clapped his hands together in conclusion, "Meaning the maids have to see us making the cookies, when I mean us, I mean you... doing the work. But, I'll supervise?"

"Um..." I looked around at the passing students as they moved to their next class, "I have work Colin."

"Come on, can't you skip a day?" He begged, I watched the blonde boy gave me puppy dog eyes and large pout. 

"I'll get fired." I raised an eyebrow at him before I walked past apologising. I hadn't taken one step until Colin was in front of me, on knees.

"I'm begging and trust me, I do not beg." He looked at me with his focused eyes, giving me a lopsided grin.

"You look like you're proposing." I grinned, swapping my books to the other arm.

He looked at the ground before looking at me, "Jay Whiley, will you bake with me?"

My laughter echoed in the practically empty hallway as I shook my head, covering my large smile with a hand.

"I want to but I will get fired."

"Which cafe? I'll get dad's secretary to ring them, they'll let you off the hook today." He grinned and got himself of the ground, "Meet me in the parking lot after school, I'll drive you."