19 : Strings

It's like always and forever
I won't let a moment pass
And when I'm with you I feel better
I want all the strings, all the strings attached

19 : Strings (edited)

     Two more weeks have flown by, being the first day of February and there was still no sign of improvement between James and Catherine. Both were as stubborn and daft as they could be, James not understanding why Catherine didn't think his feelings for her were real, and Catherine still taking time to allow herself to believe that James truly loves her. Their friends were getting antsy, rather restless on watching their stupid and nonsense fallout. Both clearly needed one another in their lives, yet they refused to see sense and resulted to moping around and sulking.

     They seemed to always spoil all the fun with their bitterness. It was getting annoying to their peers, really.

     "Good morning, Cat Queen," a voice jauntily greeted her, "fine weather we're having, no?"

     Catherine was picking on her breakfast, her chin on her hand as she spooned her porridge around the bowl. Lifting a spoonful and slowly letting it drip, then repeating the process. "Morning, Siri," she drawled out in a mutter, not bothering to glance at the boy who now sat next to her.

     Sirius grinned brightly at her, happily munching on a piece of toast as though everything was perfectly fine and it was raining chocolate and gold.

     Catherine still hasn't sat with the Marauders and her friends up until now and Fabian and Gideon were getting a tad bit tired with the sadness she was radiating. It made them depressed.

     "You look quite happy today, Queen," Sirius said in a ridiculous voice.

     "Are you mocking me, Black?" Catherine finally glanced at him, arching an eyebrow.

     Sirius feigned surprise as he drawled out sarcastically, "Of course not! Wouldn't want to upset the mighty queen, now would we?" He winked at her.

     Catherine rolled her eyes and snorted once.

     Sirius sighed inwardly, knowing it was going to take a whole lot more to cheer her up. He suddenly perked up again as he slid closer to her until their sides were touching. "I've got something for you, Cat."

     Catherine glanced at him curiously as she spoke slowly, "I'm pretty sure it's not my birthday today. And Christmas was over."

     Sirius cut her off by laughing shortly. "Nothing like that. Here, just open it." He reached across the table to the green box Gideon was casually holding onto and passed it to Catherine who blinked in surprise.

     A memory of receiving a box that looked similar to this flashed in her mind, except that was blue and this was green. She knew what was inside this and when she opened it, she guessed right. A corner of Catherine's lips pulled up ever so slightly as she cautiously started eating the treacle fudge.

     She had offered some to Sirius but he declined politely. He resorted to watching her enjoy her chocolate, as creepy as it sounded. With every bite he could see the sadness slowly leaving Catherine as she looked more serene than before by the time she finished a part of it.

     "Delicious?" he asked, pushing his plate away from him.

     Catherine nodded, giving him a grateful look. "Thanks, Paddy."

     Sirius nodded simply before throwing her a glance. "Psst," he called out softly.

     "Mm?"