Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 12 | Poison

THE HOUSE FEELS emptier

Even though on most days, I actively avoided him, Parker's absence is loud in the hallways. Audrey hasn't been coping well. She told me he didn't give her much of a reason for the breakup, but that he insisted she could find someone far better than him, before gathering up his things and moving out. She's been a wreck ever since.

I can't ignore the fact that this is my fault. That she's suffering because of me. Even if it's for the best. Parker doesn't love her, and she deserves someone who does. But that doesn't keep me from feeling the urge to vomit every time I pass by her bedroom, and hear the muted sounds of her sadness.

Parker did the right thing. But there's a part of me that feels hurt because he didn't tell me he was leaving. He told me he was here for me, then left without a word.

Between his departure, Audrey's nearly catatonic state, and my own breakup with Dylan, I feel as though I've effectively been cut off from everyone I know.

The tension at school has gotten even worse. Dylan is playing the part of the pitiful ex-boyfriend, sending me forlorn gazes as he limps through the halls on his crutches, turning himself into a brooding mess. I've taken to avoiding all three of them, arriving late to school so I won't have to walk with Zoe to English, and eating lunch outside by myself instead of sitting with them in the cafeteria. I figure space is the best thing for Dylan right now, and he can't have that if I'm spending time with his friends.

But the isolation is lonely. The sleepless nights and haunting nightmares weigh heavily on my brain, and I don't know how much longer I can keep it up.

So, going against my better judgement and giving in to my selfish desires, I go to see the one person I've felt even remotely comfortable around during all of this.

Sticking my hands into the pockets of my raincoat, I take in a shaky breath between my parted lips, feeling nervous as my feet pad along the damp pavement. The rain has finally let up after falling for the majority of the day, and Antonio's is a beacon against the grey sky, calling me to it, but also making me want to turn around and run in the other direction. I pause across the street from the building, chewing the inside of my lip and feeling a wave of guilt.

Maybe he's not even here. It would be better if he isn't. I'll take it as a sign from God that I'm supposed to have zero contact with Parker White, no matter how platonic my intentions are. With this thought, I cross the street, arriving at the front door, and pulling it open.

It's warm inside, a stark contrast to the chilling air I just escaped, and there's a low murmur of chatter mingling with the tinkling of silverware and wine glasses. A man croons a love ballad in Italian, and a cozy feeling seeps into my chest, my shoulders relaxing in comfort.

Stepping out of the way of a couple that has just entered, I take a moment to close my eyes and collect my thoughts. After a hostess whisks the two away, I head to the desk, plastering a tentative smile on my face.