Bandages

Jeanne's POV

I awoke to the sound of voices. I stayed silent but kept my eyes closed and listened.

"They're gone!" I heard Tina say.

"But we made 'em cocoa," said Queenie sadly. "Hang on, there's a note."

I felt the vibrations of the floor as Queenie moved closer to my bed. I heard her reach over to the bedside table.

"Sorry, we had to leave so soon," Queenie read. "I had to find my Niffler and other escaped creatures before any muggles—No Majes as you would say—get to them. I've left a fresh set of bandages for Jeanne here which will probably need changing in the morning. Signed, -N.S."

"That sly son of a—" Tina began.

"Watch it," said Queenie. "You'll wake Jeanne."

"I was going to say Bowtruckle," said Tina. I heard her heavy footsteps as she stormed out of the room. I heard Queenie follow her out, shutting the door behind her.

~~~

In the morning, I stumbled out of bed and made my way into the kitchen, rubbing my eyes and yawning. Queenie glanced over at me then went back to cooking.

She then stopped, as if she'd seen something odd, and slowly turned toward me, looking me up and down

"Jeanne!" Queenie shouted in surprise. The pans floating around her dropped, spilling their contents.

I dropped myself down lower in shock and backed away slowly.

Queenie rushed over. "Y-your wings! They're back! They're beautiful! Come on turn around, hun. Let me have a look!" she said excitedly.

"What's all the fuss and banging?" Tina asked, worried. She popped her head into the doorway then saw my wings. "Oh wow." Tina stopped dead in her tracks.

"They're not even to their full size yet," I said quietly.

"Wait, say that again, please, Jeanne?" Queenie asked. I did. "You're English?" she asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," I said. "Straight from London. My wings . . . not big enough to fly yet. Probably half way there."

"Oh my . . ." Queenie said, marveling at my dark wings. "This is half the size? Wow. At this rate, they'll probably be back by tomorrow."

Tina walked over. "May I?" she asked. I nodded. Tina brushed the black feathers gently. "So soft," she said.

I peered over my shoulder at the shedded bandages my wings had made. Queenie's shirt she had leant me was also in ribbons. "Sorry about you shirt," I said.

"Oh, hun, don't be silly!" Queenie said, taking a look at the ripped fabric. "We've gotta fix up your bandages like Newt said," she said, holding out a strip of bandage. "C'mon," she said, taking my arm.

They lead me into the living room. "Why don't you just lay down on the carpet?" said Tina. I did. "How did Mr. Scamander have these before?" Tina mumbled to herself. Queenie had returned, carrying the roll of bandages Newt had left, scissors, and her wand. Tina began to cut away the torn shirt. She then cut away the strips of bloodied bandages.

"Look at this stitch work . . ." Queenie commented, referring to the stitches Newt had done. "It's near perfect."

Tina began muttering a spell that I assumed cleaned up a wound. Queenie then proceeded to pass the roll of bandages Tina, under and over me.

"Ouch!" I nearly screamed through gritted teeth.

"Sorry!" Tina and Queenie said in unison.

"Ouch," mumbled Queenie.

"What?" Tina started. "Why did you say ouch?"

"I've got a nick," Queenie said. I looked up at her. Queenie held her shoulder.

I looked at my wings. There were talons on the part where my wings bent. They were claw-like, hooked, and similar to those on a dragon's wing only feathered. They were sharp and pearly white. Except for the one that had gotten Queenie, that one had blood on it.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" I began to apologize quickly. "I-I, this, the claws—" I said, backing away.

"Hun, calm down, slow down," Queenie said. "It's okay, I'm okay. It was an accident, just a nick . . . What about the claws?"

"I-I, they're new," I finally got out. The claws on the top of each wing retracted like a cat's claw. "M-must come out when I need self defense," I concluded.

"So your other wings didn't have these?" Tina asked. I shook my head. "Huh," she said. "Probably something about evolution. All the science nuts are talking about it these days."

"Done!" Queenie announced after she had pinned the last bandage. "How about we get some breakfast before we go after Jacob and Mr. Scamander?"