12.

IF THERE WAS ONE THING THE GRYFFINDORS WERE known for besides their overwhelmingly stupid bravery, it was their ability to throw a killer party with little to no pre-planning. On the first night back of the term, the Gryffindor common room was somehow already beautified with the most extravagant of red and gold decorations while there were tables loaded with food and drink (Aquila was almost certain she had seen bottles of firewhiskey and she had doubt about who were the ones to sneak it in).

Aquila sat in the corner of the common room, sipping on a mug of Butterbeer as she observed the party going on around her. In one corner, there were the older teenagers, taking shots of firewhiskey and telling stories that had anyone in their vicinity on the floor laughing. In another corner, James Potter was sat next to a partially flushed Lily Evans, most likely trying to woo her as he always did. Peter and Sirius were nowhere to be seen while Remus was sat on the opposite side of the room, seemingly doing the same thing that Aquila was doing. 

Then, in the centre of the room, a tipsy Eliza Canning was dancing and singing as obnoxiously as she possibly could. The scene made Aquila laugh as she looked at her friend trying to pull random people from on their seats onto the dance floor. Finally, the blonde's eyes locked on her best friend and a smirk grew on her lips as she made her way over to Aquila.

"Eliza, no. You know I don't dance," Aquila said as she tried to push her slightly intoxicated friend away.

"You don't have a choice, my Aquila dearest."

With strength that Aquila did not know that Eliza possessed (though she shouldn't have been surprised, have you seen how much she eats?), the Black girl only had time to set down her mug as the blonde pulled Aquila off of her seat and dragged her all the way to the middle of the room. As soon as she did, a Muggle rock song came on and of course, Eliza knew every word (which meant Aquila also knew every word because oh my Merlin, Eliza loved to sing in the shower). 

"WELCOME TO THE HOTEL CALIFORNIA!" Eliza bellowed at the top of her lungs, "Come on, Quill. I know you know this."

"Eliza, I really can't do this," Aquila said, but one look from her friend told her that she wasn't getting out of this.

"LAST THING I REMEMBER, I WAS RUNNING FOR THE DOOR!" 

"I had to find the passage to the place I was before."

"RELAX, SAID THE NIGHT MAN; WE ARE PROGRAMMED TO RECEIVE."

"YOU CAN CHECK OUT ANYTIME YOU LIKE, BUT YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE!"

The two girls had started screaming to each other with big smiles on their faces and it wasn't long before they were joined by the entire party.

During the interlude, the Ravenclaw duo was joined by a tall, lanky Gryffindor; none other than Remus Lupin. 

"Hey Liza, mind if I borrow Aquila for a bit?" he asked.

Eliza rose an eyebrow, "Borrow means I'll get her back before the night is up, right?"

Remus flushed, trying to stutter out an answer which caused the blonde girl to laugh, "I'm just pulling your leg, Lupin. Go have fun."

The boy nodded sheepishly and proceeded to carry Aquila in the direction of his dorm. Eliza, noticing the direction in which the two were going, called out over the music, "But not too much fun! I'm not ready to be a crazy aunt just yet!"

As they walked up the stairs to the sixth year Gryffindor dorms, Remus asked, "So how were your holidays?" 

The girl shrugged, "It was alright. I loved the charm and the books by the way."

Remus smiled, "I thought you would. That's actually what I wanted to talk to you about."

The rest of the conversation, however, was lost to the night as the two walked into the dorm, only to be met with the sight of Sirius making out with Marlene. The boy's hair was ruffled and Marlene's shirt appeared to be on the other side of the room. The two stopped what they were doing and there was a tense five second silence as the four teenagers did nothing but stare at each other.

"Well," Marlene started, speaking in her sickeningly sweet voice, "This is awkward."

Removing her harsh stare from the girl sat on her brother's bed, Aquila looked over to Sirius who was watching her, his eyes full of fear. Shaking her head, she turned to Remus, "Come on, babe. I'm sure we can find another room. Mine is most likely empty."

Without waiting for a response from anyone else in the room, Aquila started to drag Remus out the door but not before she smashed her lips roughly against his. 

Pulling away from the kiss, she spared another glance over at Sirius (who looked truly pissed) and smiled brightly. 

The two left the dormitories and walked straight out of the Gryffindor common room, standing in front of the portrait of the Fat Lady (who was looking agitated by the night's activities).

"Aquila, not that I'm complaining but what was that?" Remus asked, his face tinted red. 

"It was.. I like you Remus, I really do but we just can't be together. At least, not right now. It won't work, I'm sorry," the girl said before she turned on her heel and left, a heartbroken Remus watching as her robes disappeared around a corner.