Chapter 21

A/N: I know, I know...it's been a minute but please enjoy the update!!! Don't forget to comment & vote @ the end of the chapter!

ENJOY!!!!

***

Zipping closed the large tote, I lifted the bag from the bed and onto my shoulder.
Everything was just starting to fall into place and just like that
we were back at square one.
Shaking my head I walked downstairs to the living room picking the remote up from the couch.
Aiming it towards the television I turned it off before tossing it back to its original spot.
Giving the house my last walk through I walked into the foyer opening the front door.
Lord knows I didn't want to leave. All I wanted was to be happy but I HAD to fall in love with a thug.
Placing my hand over my stomach I rubbed the spot where I could feel the dull kicks from the baby.
At least someone was happy I thought to myself.
Turning off the light I closed the door behind me before locking it.
The wind blew lightly causing leaves to scatter onto the ground but the sun shined bright.
Looking up into the sky I could only wonder if my mother was looking down at me.
There wasn't a day I didn't think of her.
Stepping through the gravel I unlocked the truck's doors tossing the bag inside and climbing into the driver's seat before closing the door behind me.
Placing the key into the ignition I pulled on my seatbelt before tuning into the local radio station.
Easing out of the driveway I started in the direction of Celia's house.
A million thoughts crowded my mind. I could be done with it all and go somewhere far away with my kids but raising two kids alone wouldn't be easy.
Tears formed in my eyes the more I considered the thought.
Fighting back my tears I tried to focus on something more positive.
My pregnancy was going great and I couldn't wait to meet my little bundle of joy. Placing my hand over my baby bump a smile formed at my lips instantly helping me forget anything else.
Arriving in little to no time to Celia's house I pulled into the driveway cutting the engine off.
Grabbing the duffle from the passenger's seat I stepped from the truck making my way to the front door.
Lifting the doormat I removed the front door key before putting it into the lock.
"Celia?" I called as I walked into the house.
"In the kitchen." She called back.
Following her voice I walked into the kitchen to see her sitting at the island smoking a cigarette and drinking red wine.
She looked as if she'd been crying.
"What's the matter?--Where's Nicholas?" I asked with concern before placing the duffle onto the floor.
"Your Aunt picked him up earlier." She answered nonchalantly.
Allowing Celia to have full contact with Lolita was a good idea. It gave Aunt Lo and I our space while Celia played the middle man.
Giving her an unsure look I pulled a seat up across the island from her.
I'd never seen Celia this distraught before and it was shocking.
"Do you think I'm a bad mother?" She asked.
Frowning I shook my head in disagreement.
I knew Celia had come a long way from her past and was doing her best to rekindle her relationship with Rio.
"You don't have to answer that." She said waving the air as if she could erase it.
Taking a long drag from her cancer stick she turned her head away from me before blowing out the smoke.
"Celia, what's going on?" I asked with confusion. "Why did Mario want me to pack?"
I needed my questions answered now and I refused to keep waiting on Rio to answer them.
Just as I was going to continue Rio's stepfather Mark walked into the kitchen dressed in a navy blue robe. My eyes widened at his sudden appearance.
"I'm just goin to grab a soda?" He said making his way towards the refrigerator.
Returning my eyes back to Celia I gave her another unsure look. Rio absolutely hated Mark. Celia and I both knew that by the way things went the last time the two were in the same room together.
It was no surprise.
"How's it been Lauren?--I hear your expecting." Mark smiled.
Turning towards him I plastered on a smile.
"Yeah."
"I've always wanted a grand baby--hopefully she's here before the wedding."
His choice of words let me know he too was expecting the child I was carrying to be a girl but my heart skipped a beat as the words wedding left his lips.
"Wedding?" I asked slightly smiling.
Was Rio going to propose to me?
Walking over to Celia, Mark wrapped his arms around her.
"You haven't told her?" He asked with a big grin.
Celia took a big gulp of her wine.
"I'm getting married." She blurted in the mist of the moment.
My eyes widened at her sudden bluntness.
"I've been rekindling things with Mark and it's been going well." She added.
Mark leaned in and kissed her cheek showing his excitement.
"Have you told Mario?" I managed to ask.
Holding her head low Celia massaged her scalp with her free hand.
Rio was going to be pissed once he heard the news.
"I've been avoiding it." She said softly.
"With or without Mario's blessings we're getting married." Mark said comforting Celia.
Hearing the front door open everyone froze in their seats.
Preparing myself for Mario's raft, I waited until he walked into the kitchen.
"What's up?" He said greeting no one in particular.
I could immediately sense his vibe and when his eyes landed on Mark his jaw bones clenched together.
"What you doin here?" He asked enraged.
Mark took in a deep breath before letting out a hot breath of pinned up air.
"Can we be two grown men and talk?" Mark asked.
Ignoring him Rio directed his attention towards his mother.
"I've been tryin to call you all day. Why you ain't been answerin'?" He scolded her.
Celia chewed at her bottom lip before returning her cigarette back to her mouth taking in another pull.
"So that's it? Your going to ignore me?" Mark interjected while asking Rio.
"The only thing I need to know is why you keep comin around?" Rio snapped.
Not being able to take anymore of the bickering from the two men Celia stood from her seat.
"We're getting married!" She yelled.
The entire room became silent and I could see the hurt in Rio's eyes.
"Mark and I are getting married." She confirmed.
Taking a minute to let the words process Rio shook his head in disappointment before lifting her wine glass from the island top and taking a sniff from it.
"Mario, don't." Celia pleaded.
"Don't what?" He yelled. "This is how it all started--first the drinkin, then the smokin', then the drugs! It only happens when your wit him!"
I could see he was emotionally drained.
"Watch who your raising your voice at boy!" Mark snapped.
Rio started to charge towards Mark but Celia blocked him.
"Stop it!--" She yelled. "Just let me be happy."
Backing away Rio stared at her with hate in his eyes.
"You have your own family to worry about." She added.
"Let you be happy?" Rio questioned.
Celia gave him an confusing look.
"Our relationship was ruined by this man and now you want to be happy wit him?--I don't have time for this shit."
Rio didn't waste anytime leaving the kitchen walking upstairs to his old bedroom.
Following after him I found him sitting on the edge of his bed.
Pushing the door fully open I took one step into the room.
"Are you okay?" I asked taking another step.
He didn't bother to make eye contact with me.
Walking towards him I saw that he was hurting.
"Bae." I said softly.
Grabbing me around the waist he pulled me closer to him resting his head on my stomach.
At that moment it seemed as if the baby knew his father was near.
"I can feel him movin'." He said slightly amused. "Hey lil dude." He said as if the baby could respond to him.
A smile formed at my lips.
"Baby, promise me you'll never leave me--no matter how tough things may get."
"I've been here haven't I?" I questioned.
Remembering my thoughts of leaving him earlier put an uneasy feeling to my stomach.
"I know I've been an ass to you but it was never intentionally."
Seeing my chance to ask him why he wanted me to pack, I went for it.
"Where are we goin'--why did you want me to pack?"
Taking in a deep breath he stood up from the bed.
"We're movin' away. I can't risk bein in the city."
Frowning I tried to understand where he was coming from.
"Bae, just listen to me."
Being interrupted by the doorbell Rio's face turned stone cold displaying a blank expression.
"Stay here." He ordered before making his way towards the room door.
His uneasiness made me nervous.
"Rio?--." I questioned before he cut me off holding his index finger to his mouth signaling me to be quiet.
Stepping out into the hallway he listened as Mark answered the door.
Men running into the house sent him running back into the room closing the door behind him.
"What's wrong?" I asked in a panic.
Turning to face me Rio walked towards his closet pulling the door open.
My heart pounded against my chest as I watched him grab a gun from the top shelf.
"Bae, I need you to get in the closet." He instructed as he checked the clip in the gun.
"What's goin' on?" I questioned.
Everything was happening so fast.
Doing as instructed I stepped into the closet.
Handing me the gun Rio kissed my lips for what felt like was going to be the last time.
I'd never had to fire a gun before and just holding one gave me chills.
"I'll be back, I promise--don't use that unless you really have too." He said before closing the closet door.
Surrounded by darkness with a little light shinning from the cracks, crocodile tears fell down my cheeks as I tried my best to keep calm as possible.
A million thoughts filled my mind as my heart raced.
Peering through a crack in the door my heart skipped a beat as two men barged into the room with Celia and Mark at gunpoint.
Rio stopped in his tracks.
"Get down!" One man demanded Rio while holding a gun to Celia's head.
Bending down to his knees Rio held his hands in a surrendering position as the other man searched him.
"Just give them what they want." Celia begged.
Covering my mouth to keep from giving away my hiding spot, tears streamed from my eyes.
"Just let my Mama go bruh." Rio demanded calmly.
"He's clean." The man assured Rio before hitting him in the jaw.
Barely flinching Rio remained his composure.
"You think you tough?" He asked Rio as he mean mugged him.
Not responding Rio kept his hands in the same position. Remaining un-phased.
"I bet this will make you talk."
Aiming his gun towards Celia, he fired a bullet into her causing her blood to cover Rio.
Celia's limp body fell to the floor and moments later Mark was shot.
Placing both hands over my mouth to muffle my sobs I cried out in fear.
"No!" Rio yelled as he tried to make his way towards his mother but being punched in the stomach brought him to his knees.
Coughing uncontrollably the two men didn't waste anytime covering Rio's face with a black bag.
"Take him downstairs--we gotta get him to Reggie." The man that shot Celia instructed.
Dragging Rio out of the room, the other man lingered behind.
Reaching for the gun I was given, I held the handle tight in my hand preparing for the closet door to open.
My heart pounded against my chest at a fast pace causing sweat to pour from my forehead.
His footsteps approached the door stopping in front of it.
"Ay, Rick! Let's go!" A voice called from in the hallway.
Taking a double look at the closet door he turned to leave the room.
Letting out a sigh of relief I removed my hands from my mouth.
Seeing Celia's and Mark's lifeless bodies on the floor gave me a nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Trying my best to fight back the urge to vomit I closed my eyes.
Stuffing the gun under my shirt I couldn't hold back anymore as spew erupted from my lips onto the floor.
Turning back around the man made his way towards the closet snatching the door open.
"Please--." I cried as he yanked me out of the closet. "Please don't hurt me." I begged.
Lifting me up the man covered my mouth with his hand carrying me downstairs.
Kicking and screaming for my life I immediately became nauseous again.
Being carried outside to an all black SUV I was tossed into the backseat before the door slammed close behind me.
The driver took off speeding down the street hitting every bump in the road causing me to shift from side to side.
"Please let me go." I panicked not knowing where he was taking me.
Not one time did the driver turn around to say anything to me.
Dressed in a black hoodie with the hood pulled tightly over his head it was hard for me to see his face.
I thought about jumping out of the moving vehicle but as I tugged and pushed on the door handle it wouldn't budge.
Damn child locks!
I tried every door and got the same results.
Glancing around the back seat for something to break the window I came up with nothing. The truck looked as if it had just gone through a detailed wash.
Remembering the gun under my shirt I went for it but stopped when the truck came to an abrupt stop.
The door opened and I was immediately pulled from the backseat.
"If you know what's good for you, you won't scream." A masked man said holding a gun.
Pushing me towards an old worn down house I tried to fight him off striking him twice in the face.
"Bitch." He said this time forcefully slapping me across the face causing me to lose balance.
Hitting the hard concrete a sharp pain rushed through my body.
"Getcho' ass up!" The man yelled yanking me from the ground.
Tears streamed down my cheeks as I became fearful for the baby I was carrying.
Still stunned at me hitting him the man pulled me towards the house."Get up the stairs."
Unwillingly I took one step at a time with him pushing me up them.
"You gon stop fuckin' around!" He yelled causing me to jump. "Don't forget I got a gun."
Reaching the door my heart pounded against my chest. I'm sure he could hear it.
Keeping his eye on me he turned the knob before the door swung open revealing a muscular man looking to be about six feet.
His baby face and low fade gave him an innocent look.
"It's about time you got here." He snapped at the man beside me.
Directing my attention towards the man standing next to me he immediately removed his mask shaking out his dreads.
"What you lookin' at? Get inside!" He spat before pushing me into the house.
Stepping inside the man with the dreads instructed me into the living room.
Forcing me onto the couch he aimed his gun towards me
"Don't move." His voice boomed.
Touching his face where I scratched him steam blew from his ears. "I should make you pay for this." He said through gritted teeth.
Closing my eyes I wished for everything to be over. I just wanted to be with my family.
My eyes widened as Rio was pushed into the room falling to the floor.
"Baby!" I cried.
Examining his badly beaten face my entire world came crashing down.
Walking into the room stepping over Rio's body was the man that opened the front door.
"He's good Ma--know that none of this is personal, it's just business."
Rio looked to me with hurt in his eyes causing tears to fall from mine.
Lifting Rio up by his shirt the man cocked his fist back before connecting it to Rio's face.
"Stop it!" I screamed.
Rio yelled out in agony as he rolled onto his side.
Trying to stand to my feet the guy with the dreads forcefully pulled me back onto the couch.
"Don't move!" He instructed me again.
"You knew better than to set Petey up bruh." The man said shaking his head.
"I didn't set him up Reg." Rio managed to say before spitting up blood.
Not wanting to hear anymore Reg took his gun from his waistband.
"You have any last words?"
"Fuck you!" Rio spat. "Let my girl go."
Chuckling, Reg took the safety off of the gun aiming it towards Rio.
"I can't do that B-- Petey said no one survives."
The man with the dreads stood silently watching the whole scene unfold in front of him.
Pulling the gun from under my shirt I aimed it towards the man with the dreads shooting him in the neck.
Dropping his gun his hands immediately wrapped around his neck as he tried to apply pressure to his wound.
Falling to the ground his body shook as he began choking.
Catching Reg off guard and distracting him from shooting Rio he fired two shots in my direction causing one bullet to make its way into my shoulder & the other to graze my stomach but allowing Rio enough time to grab the other gun.
Feeling a burning sensation through my body I laid down on the couch praying for my unborn.
Retrieving the gun from the floor Rio put a few bullets into Reg killing him instantly before dropping it to the floor and making his way over to me.