Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Claire's POV

"Aren't you girls going to congratulate me?" Matt Barnes, one of my closest friends, sat in front of me. Tall, slim, and blond. He was one of the nerds in school—wearing very thick eyeglasses, sweatshirt, and maroon scarf all the time.

I was in the cafeteria having lunch with my best friend Rhea. "What for?" We asked him simultaneously.

"I got the number one spot of this year's Top Ten Who's Not."

"Wow! Congrats." Rhea said sarcastically to Matt. "Claire also got the fourth place in the girls' list."

"As always. What's new?" I just smiled. "Congratulations, Matt."

Matt stood up and curtsied in front of us. "Thank you. Thank you, ladies."

The three of us finished our lunch. We laughed and made fun of ourselves. We always did that instead of feeling bad. Matt and I learned not to be affected with this kind of bullying. We focused ourselves to excel in academics.

"I understand Matt being in the list. He's really a nerd. But you, Claire? Seriously? I know this bitch sister of yours is the reason why you're always in that list." Rhea said when Matt left for his next class.

"I don't know." I shrugged my shoulders. "Maybe because I don't attend parties and outings outside school."

"How can you when you're not allowed by your stepmother to go for many reasons? You have to do the household chores, give her a massage, water the plants at night, or babysit Ashley's dog. So weird."

"Shh. Keep your voice down."

"Okay... okay." Rhea said then her head went up. "Oh-oh. Look who's here."

"Who?"

"It's Zion, at the doorway. He's waving at us." Rhea whispered to me. She knew about my crush on him.

I looked at Zion. He was really waving at us... at ME.

My heart jolted, and my pulse pounded foolishly.

I felt like I was in a dream, everything turned blurry, like magic. Suddenly, there was only Zion and me, staring at each other. He gave me a smile that sent my pulses racing, and I returned his smile shyly.

Suddenly, someone bumped into my chair. It was London Allen, Harry's twin sister. London and I were once close friends, but our friendship drifted apart when we grew older. She befriended the rich kids in school, and I was left out.

"Oops. Sorry, Claire." London said then continued walking towards Zion.

Reality set in. It was London he was waving at, not me.

***

"I found a replacement for Cameron." My English teacher, Miss Robinson, informed me before our class started. "He's from my morning class."

I was surprised that somebody agreed to play the role of Romeo. Most of the boys in English class evaded to take the role. Even Cameron was forced to do it. It made them squirm with embarrassment.

But it had an opposite effect with the girls. Every girl in school dreamed to be Juliet. Many auditioned to play the part, but Miss Robinson was too picky. Her criteria? Juliet had to be beautiful, smart, and very articulate. Playing the role was like winning a beauty and brains contest.

This year, I was fortunate that she picked me. I guessed she took pity on me. For three years, I was in charge of the costume and stage design committee. In other words, I was her errand girl. She said that since it was my last year in high school, she gave me the chance to play Juliet. She knew that it was my dream to play the role.

Nobody knew that I would play the lead role. Not yet. It was always a surprise to everyone in school. Usually, it would be announced after the school holiday break.

"I have an extra copy of the script on my table at the theatre. Can you give it to him after class?" Miss Robinson interrupted my thoughts.

"Okay, miss. No problem." I answered.

"I'll have him pick it up at the Rose Room."

***

I was dreaming.

I was at the roof top of a very tall building. I went to the ledge and looked down. I saw the cars down the road that looked like ants, and the many people were like fine sands. I was wondering how I got there.

Suddenly, the building was shaking. There was an earthquake. I got so scared. I saw the debris falling from the nearby building. Then in an instant, it collapsed. I looked around to ask for help, but there was no one. I tried to shout, but I just couldn't. I lost my voice.

I looked down and saw the floor at the ledge crack. Then I was falling... falling down so fast. I screamed but still, I couldn't hear my voice.

I'm going to die.

I closed my eyes, getting ready to meet the grim reaper. Please, I want to go to heaven not hell. I know I've been good and in heaven, I'll see Mom...

I was surprised when someone caught me. I felt like I was swept up to the sky. I slowly opened my eyes and finally saw him. His face was a blur... but it looked familiar. He was wearing a blue suit and a red cape. Superman?

No. There was no S on his chest. It was a Z.

I blinked my eyes and stared at his face. Slowly, it became clearer. It was Zion.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Ah... ah..." Finally, I heard myself. I was glad that I found my voice.

"Is this the script from Miss Robinson?" He took the script from the table.

"Um... yeah." I kept on staring at him. How could he have changed his clothes so fast? He was wearing a blue suit like Superman when he swept me up and now he was back in his school uniform.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked me again.

"Yeah... yeah." I answered. I was mesmerized by his captivating dark eyes and arresting smile. I was about to thank him for rescuing me, but he was instantly gone.

Zion's POV

"Where have you been?" Izzy asked when I met him at the hall.

"I was in the men's room." I lied.

"Did you talk to Miss Robinson about your grade?"

"Yeah. Of course."

"And?"

"She'll give me some homework... you know... projects." I answered.

"That's great, man." Izzy tapped my shoulder. "I'll see you tomorrow. Bye, bro."

I dropped by at my locker before I went home. I exhaled heavily when I saw her.

Maddie Jennings. The girl who broke my heart.

I opened my locker and threw the script inside, intentionally ignoring her.

"Zion." She said softly. That sweet voice that once made my heart beat faster.

"What do you want?" I asked calmly, trying to be civil.

"We need to talk. About us."

"Stop it, Maddie. It's been a year already. We've been through this before."

Maddie looked so agitated. She came closer to me and slowly reached out to touch my arm. "Please, Zion. You need to listen to me. Let me explain."

"What for? I'm not stupid. I saw it with my own eyes." My mood veered sharply to anger.

"Please... I'm so sorry, Zion. I want you back." Her eyes pleaded.