Chapter 57

A door banged shut.
I opened my eyes just in time to see Damon two feet away from me.
I was lying on a bed in a pretty plain room. White walls and a grey carpet.
And a bed in the center covered in grey sheets.
That was pretty much all that there was to see.

Damon's eyes were alight and he had a small smile playing on his lips.
He walked closer to me slowly shaking his head. I wanted to move towards him too but my body felt so heavy, I literally couldn't even move.

"Oh Adriane, why are you so stubborn?"
He said and sat at the edge of my bed right beside me.

"Damon." I said and I tried to reach out for him again.
I was glad to see him.
He had come for me.
This time my hand did move a bit, with a lot of effort on my part.
But it just went through him.

I was stunned for a second.
And he disappeared into whirlpool of blackness.

And I woke up.

And I was surrounded by darkness.

I was dreaming.
I tried to look around but I couldn't see much.
Being in the dark only led me to believe that I was still dreaming. My mind was heavy and hazy.
As my pupils adjusted to the darkness, I was able to see a bit with the aid of what seemed like moonlight, seeping in through the windows.

I could lightly make out the outline of a room, and the four poster bed I was lying on. My surroundings felt very unfamiliar, but sadly also very real. I had been dreaming, but I was awake now.

I had to stuggle to ignore the aching feeling tugging at my heart.
I was alone.
Again.

It didn't take long for the darkness to engulf me again.

And I slept off.

***

Mmmm...
Blue Berry pie.
Muffins.
Brownies.

Bacon and eggs.
Sausages.
Toast.

And lemon tea, or is that Lipton?

In my cloudy mind I kept inhaling the sweet scent of a full laid out breakfast that slowly lulled me awake.
I couldn't help the rumble that was emitted from my belly.

I think I'm hungry.

And the scent of food that kept hitting my nostrils just wet my appetite and made me smile, pulling me into full consciousness.
I finally pryed my eyes open and was greeted by a lot of white.

White walls.
White ceiling.
White crystal chandelier.
White bed.
White carpet.

Wait. Am I...

Dead?

What happened?

"Princess you're finally awake." A deep voice came from one end.
My head immediately snapped towards that direction.
Mistake though.

The pain that erupted in my neck when I did that was tremendous. I felt like an elephant tap danced on my body.
I screeched and shut my eyes again. Suddenly holding my breath.
Holding in my pain.

Two arms had wrapped themselves around me in a second. The touch felt odd, not necessarily unwelcome, but it felt odd, wrong even.
"Princess, you really should be careful, you're still recovering." He told me as he gently stroked my hair.

Recovering.
From what?

"I'm so sorry that Cassandra hurt you so much. I should have stopped her sooner." His grip on me tightened a bit. "I had no idea she was going to do that."

Cassandra?
What?
Her name brought back the memories from our last encounter which I was hoping was a dream as well. Judging from the pain in my body though, it was one hundred percent real.