chapter seventeen

"Olivia?" Lydia softly called her sister, after carefully walking into her bedroom.

"Lydia? It's like five in the morning, we have school today." Olivia groaned, lifting her bed off of her pillow.

"I know, I'm sorry it's just... this has been bugging me for a really long time." Lydia sat on her sister's bed, as Olivia sat up.

"What's wrong?"

"I need to apologize. The fight we had awhile ago- I just- the things I said-"

"It's okay Lydia, really. I said some things that I really regret."

"So... are we okay?"

"Yeah." Olivia smiled, wrapping her arms around her sister.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when you and Jackson broke up."

"Don't be sorry, I'm over it."

Olivia pulled away, smiling. "Is that it? Because I don't know about you, but if I don't go back to sleep soon, I'mm be an absolute monster in the morning."

"Yeah that's it." Lydia laughed

"Goodnight Lydia. Love you."

"Love you too." Lydia sighed, leaving the room. The never ending guilt of not telling her sister that she was adopted, eating at her.

...

"You two really don't remember anything?"

"They called it a fugue state-"

"Which is basically a way saying 'we have no idea why you can't remember running through the woods naked for two days'" Olivia cut off her sister

"I personally don't care. I lost nine pounds. So did Olivia." Allison laughed at the confident Martin sister.

"Are you guys ready for this?"

"Please. It's not like my aunt's a serial killer." As Lydia flipped her hair, walking inside, Olivia looked over to Allison.

"Allison, I am so sorry for-"

"It's fine." Allison smiled, grabbing her hand and following Lydia.

All three girls came to a stop, as everyone in the halls stopped and stared. Olivia's heart began beating faster, and suddenly all she wanted to do, was go home and bury herself in blankets.

"Maybe it's the nine pounds." Allison whispered to both Martins. This seemed to spark Lydia's confidence, and she began strutting down the halls after giving her hair a flip. Olivia followed, still embarrassed.

OLIVIA walked into the Martin household, exhausted from the day.Walking to the kitchen, she grabbed a decent looking apple. After taking a couple bites, she heard talking from her mother's office.

"You can't do that!" Natalie Martin screamed into a phone.

Olivia hid behind the wall, next to the office, eavesdropping on her mother's conversation.

"That is not your decision to make! You and I have to talk about this, you can't just drop it on her without my consent!"

Olivia wished she could hear the other half of the conversation coming through the phone; her mother seemed to be in great distress.

"I swear to god if you tell her- i'll make sure you go down just as much as I do!" Natalie hung up to the phone, slamming it down on the desk.

Olivia peeked into the office again, to see her mother digging through files, then holding up a sheet of paper.

Natalie sighed, "I'm so sorry." she whispered, then inserted it into a folder, placing other papers on top, then putting it into a desk drawer.

Seeing as she was about to leave the office, Olivia sprinted away silently. As her mother went upstairs, Olivia slowly walked into her mother's office.

Opening the drawer, Olivia dug through all the folders, finally finding the one her mother was so secretive with. Before she could open it, Olivia heard footsteps nearing. Quickly shoving the folder into her jacket, she closed the drawer.

"Olivia? I didn't know you where home."

"I literally just walked in." she laughed

"What are you doing in here?"

"Oh- uh, phone's dead." she held up her phone

"I couldn't find my charger, so I thought you'd have an extra in here." She quickly lied

"Oh, here." Natalie opened the top drawer to her desk, pulling out a cord.

"I aways have an extra in there."

"Thanks mom."

"Hey, do you want to go grab something to eat?"

"Yeah, sure. Let me just get changed real quick." Natalie smiled as her daughter sprinted up the stairs.

Closing her bedroom door, Olivia grabbed a spare pillow case from her closet. She then took the folder out of her jacket and dropping it in.

"You almost ready?" Natalie yelled from the floor below.

"Yeah, one sec!" She quickly threw the pillow case under her bed, then exchanged her shirt for a new one.

"Alright lets go." She smiled to her mom, reaching the bottom of the stairs.

"Oh! Call your sister too, tell her to meet us there."

"Okay." She brought out her phone, dialing her sisters number. Then Natalie realized something, "Wait, didn't you say your phone was dead?"

"Oh- yeah, it's practically dead it's on low battery."

Natalie nodded her head, feeling as if her daughter may be lying.