Chapter 3

Eli's POV

"Eli, once you're done, come here."

"Eli! I need you!"

"Eli! Now!"

I sighed at the angry shouts of my step-family. Ever since I'd woken up this morning, they've been shouting requests non-stop. They're trying to keep me from going to the ball. Did they really want to keep me home that badly? Was it because they didn't want to acknowledge my existence? Or was it so Eve and Adalynn could vie for the title of Luna without another competitor? But... I didn't even want to be the Luna. What are they so worried about?

Dishes, laundry, dresses brought out and put into storage, it all added up in my mind as I helped Eve into a dress for the fifth time, fixing the complicated array of buttons on the back. "Hmm... This one?" She turned to Adalynn, putting her hands on her hips. 

Adalynn stared for a moment and nodded. "I like that one... But maybe for a different occasion." I groaned quietly. At this rate, I would never finish the rest of my chores.

I helped Eve out of the dress, folding it and placing it in a pile with the other rejects. "What kind of dress are you looking for?" If I could help find a dress to make this move faster, then that's what I'd do. 

"... Something to seduce the Alpha!" 

Adalynn rolled her eyes at Eve's comment. Turning to me, she put in her own request. "A regal gown. Full skirt, no exceptions. Gold would be great, or red." I nodded. Leaving the room I went down the hall to a smaller room.

The room used to be mine. When I first moved here, the Alpha and Luna made frequent visits to see me and my step-mother put me here. Once they stopped coming by, she threw me down into the basement. Now, the room stored dresses of all sorts that my step-mother had bought for herself and her daughters.

I sifted through the dresses that I had yet to look at, finding two I knew they would like. Though my step-sisters did not beat me like my step-mother did, they were just as demanding. Besides, they didn't have to beat me. If I made either of them upset or angry, my step-mother would beat me for them.

"Here." Returning to the room, I handed them the dresses. For Adalynn, a red full skirt dress of silk, with quarter sleeves, and lacy gold accents. For Eve, a long flowing violet dress with delicate beading and a not-so-modest top. I helped them into their dresses, and both girls seemed pleased with my choices. Finally, I was able to leave and take care of my other chores.

As I walked down the hallway after leaving the girls room, I glanced up at the grand clock that hung a few feet away from their door. Five o'clock. I bit my lip, my mind panicking. Am I going to have enough time to get everything done? I sighed. Better get to work.