chapter thirty // loss of presence; loss of grace.

linley's pov

I wake up with sweaty flesh pressed against my own perspiration coated skin, leaving it rather difficult to breathe in the stuffy camper. My eyes peel open, leaving me to try my hardest to shake my grogginess.

After my eyes adjust to the brightness that has filled the bedroom, my gaze settles upon the man sleeping squeezed between Zayn and I.

Liam lies there, staring up at the ceiling, wearing a look of defeat that I've seen one too many times. That look alone is the reason I've sworn off love. But as my eyes travel to the sleeping boy on the other side of Liam, I remember the bigger reason that I've sworn off my previous preferred life of lonliness.

With our handcuffed hands stuck beneath Liam's head - the only way our situation would allow us to comfort Liam last night - I try my hardest to squeeze Zayn's hand without distrurbing Liam. It takes a few pinches for Zayn to leave his sleepy state. I watch him carefully as he blinks his eyes open in an endearing way. 

Zayn looks around rather confused - making him look even more damn adorable - but then his eyes land on his heartbroken friend beside him. His eyebrows knit together in concern as he clears his scratchy morning voice.

"Liam, you okay, mate?" He asks, his voice low and rumbling. 

Liam swallows the lump in his throat, causing his adam's apple to bob ever-so-slightly. If I hadn't been so concentrated on his well-being, I wouldn't have even noticed the tears welling up in the corner of his chocolate colored eyes.

He simply shakes his head, causing it difficult for me to swallow the lump in my own throat. 

"You know, it's okay to not be okay sometimes," Zayn says softly, using his free hand to give him a pat on the chest. Liam merely sniffs and gives a small nod in response. 

I watch Zayn carefully, a smile tugging at the ends of my lips. He's like this mystery puzzle that continues to keep getting pieced together the longer I know him. I never, ever expected him to be so gentle and caring and tender. 

Zayn's eyes flicker up to meet mine, catching me smiling at him in the act. A smile appears on his own lips as his fingers tangle with mine beneath Liam's neck. 

"You want to go get some breakfast, or something?" I offer Liam, trying my damnest to help out as well, though comforting others is definitely not my strong point. To be honest, this is really my first attempt at it. 

Liam glances over at me, breaking eye contact with ceiling for the first time. A ghost of a smile plays at the ends of his lips as he meets my concerned eyes. 

"No thanks," He shakes his head, but I can tell by the look on his face that he appreciates the thought, giving me a warm, helpful feeling in my gut, "But you two should," He nods, turning to look at Zayn as well.

The two of them exchange a mysterious look - one that goes right over my head. Zayn glances up at me, his face transforming into a brilliant smile before returning to give Liam a pat on the chest once again. 

"I suppose we can't hide from everyone else forever," He nods, turning to give me his undivided attention. 

Liam sits up to allow us to retrieve our handcuffed hands, before he plops back down on the bed. He gives us both a genuine smile, as big as he can muster up. I return it as I touch his cheek gently, knowing that I'm shit with words, and pray that he gets the gesture. By the look on his face, he understands. 

Zayn grips my hand tightly as the two of us exit the bedroom, leaving Liam with some alone time, which is probably needed. 

"What was that look about?" I whisper to Zayn as we shut the bedroom door and slowly make our way out of the camper, hearing the others' loud voices just outside.