18. Drop dead and just start smelling

Things were getting out of hand. Angie was like a parasite slowly but surely taking over his body and mind. There wasn't one moments in which Tom didn't think about her and try to figure out some way to surprise her, make her smile, keep her happy.

He only wished she'd stop hiding from him and tell him what bothered her. Why she went from hot to cold so fast. Why she still felt like he could be any danger to her.

She was taking up so much of his time, his classes were a blur, his homework a confusing mess and his latest tests... well, a lucky string of fortunate events, because he'd never been less focused in his life.

Even Billy had noticed how screwed up he was. But his best friend only grinned like a maniac and asked if he could be best man at their wedding. For some reason, Billy really seemed to like Angie, even if he spent very little time with her.

Then there was the dancing issue. After letting Angie practically grope him, she'd loosened up and their practice sessions were going great. Dancing wise. They only got him hot and bothered and it was so hard to keep away from her and not kiss her and run his hands all over her. He didn't think he'd ever wanted anything more in his life. But she wanted to take it slow and he'd respect her wish. Hell, he'd do anything to keep her around.

But were they dating now? Was Angie his girlfriend? Did he have the right to kiss her? He had absolutely no idea.

"Dude, are you paying attention?" Mizrelle asked, snapping her fingers in front of his face.

"Huh? Obviously not."

"Snap out of it. Zis is important." She took in a deep, exasperated breath. "You are right. The fraternity does provide food and shelter and all sorts of supplies. But getting in is not eeasy and it comes with a price."

"Like what?" he asked, shoving Angie into a corner of his mind.

"Once you're in, you're in for good. No leaving, no changing your mind."

He shrugged. "It's not like Jimmy and I have anywhere else to go."

"When you find the place, you have to ask for the test. Or they shoot you. Seriously now," she said, pushing his shoulder because he'd started laughing. "I'm talking about real guns, little boy."

"Isn't that a tad overdramatic?"

"A tad or not, it is how it is. Then you must take the tests. There are three. Cooperation, street smarts and self defense. I can't tell you more."

Tom rubbed the back of his head. That didn't sound too bad. Street smarts he did have, Mizrelle wouldn't have approached him otherwise. He'd just ask Jimmy to teach him how to fight better and cooperation couldn't be that hard.

"Again, once you're in, you don't get out."

"You're out."

Mizrelle puffed her chest. "I'm an ambassador. We get out."

That was great. Jimmy could be an ambassador and maybe go to college. "So to find the place,  I have to be on the lookout for specific graffiti."

She nodded. "I can't tell you what it is, but you'll know it when you see it. It always points underground. For instance, in Paris, where I come from, if you go to the Opera subway station, you find the graffiti on the tracks."

"That sounds crazy dangerous."

She grinned. "No one said it would be eeasy."

"Easy's boring anyway."

"That's why I think you'll fit right in." Mizrelle nudged his shoulder with hers.

He nudged her back. He had to admit he liked her. She was fun and mysterious and French. Though he was not a big fan of the way she was looking at him with those puppy dog eyes.