Chapter 25: Of Ghosts & Beasts

Alure's Crypt.

7:40 p.m. 16th Peniel 1091.

Syèl's and Shokō walked down a path lit up by the flames within the trenches on the wall until they reached the top of an inclined slope. The flames traveled down either side of the cliff along intricately designed networks until they lit up a complicated maze below. The duo only had a brief moment to look at the maze's structure before a gust of wind blasted them off the cliff and sent them sliding down the inclined path.

However, that brief second was enough for them to realize that the maze spanned over three thousand cubic meters in size. It would take hours to reach the end, assuming they knew the correct path. Otherwise, it could take days, or even months, to get out. Syèl doubted they would be allowed to explore the maze at leisure. Something somewhere would surely intervene to make their job harder.

Syèl and Shokō rolled to a halt at the bottom of the slope. They rose to their feet and then dusted moss off their bodies as they examined the maze's entrance. The entrance, if it could be called that, was a simple, doorless arch. In appearance alone, it seemed to invite anyone into its embrace.

However, a stone plaque placed at the top of the arch belied its true, wicked intentions.

"Well, nothing says come on in like a giant sign warning you of your death," Syèl joked and made his way into the maze, followed closely by Shokō

Alure's Crypt was cold and dark, barely lit by the overhead flame network. An evil aura lingered in the air, threatening to suffocate any adventurers who made it there. The walls outlining the maze were jagged, with several symbols etched onto them. Bits and pieces had crumbled off of the walls, but they still stood firm, defiant to the decline of age. Soft wailing sounds, like the cries of a child long forgotten, occasionally echoed within its walls, sometimes far off, sometimes near. This was undoubtedly a place of death, and the stench only served to emphasize that point.

Crunch!

"The hell?" Syèl softly cursed and raised his foot. He frowned when he realized what he had stepped on. The bones of a previous explorer lay on the ground, its ribs crushed by his foot. Now that he looked closer, there were several of the crumbled bones lying around. These were all that remained of those who were lost to the maze.

Shokō examined the skeletons with an apprehensive gaze. She looked at Syèl, who until now had been leading the way. "Do you know where you're going?"

"Don't worry," Syèl assured her with an arrogant smirk. "I've got the layout of the entire maze in my head."

Shokō's brow shot up. They'd only had a second or two to look at the maze from above before getting shoved down the incline. Someone capable of memorizing something of that complexity deserved praise. "That's impressive. You're really not an average guy, are you?"