twenty-seven: can't help falling in love with you

Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Prongs, we've been past this corner like, fifteen times. Admit it. You have no idea where we're going."

James huffed, shooting Sirius an irked look as the four of them continued to scour the town in search of what they were looking for, which in this case, was a new record store. It was barely noon yet and they were already feeling considerably grumpy. Peter, ever the optimist, gave James an encouraging pat on the back. "Don't worry, I'm sure Prongs here knows how to get there."

"See? Wormtail believes in me," James muttered as he took them through another abandoned alleyway, while Sirius rolled his eyes. "Yeah? Well that's just because Wormtail's a kiss ass."

"Am not—"

"Are too—"

"Am not—"

Brooklyn pinched the bridge of her nose in exasperation, sighing. Couldn't these boys last five minutes without having a go at each other?

She abruptly put their argument to a stop, clearing her throat and causing them all to look at her. "Alright, we've been looking for 2 hours and we still can't find it. Maybe it's because of James' terrible navigating skills—" (at this, she earned an indignant protest from him which she ignored), "—or maybe it's just that fate doesn't want us finding this stupid record store. I don't care." She pointed ahead at something, shrugging. "Look, there's a bakery. I don't know about you three, but I'm starving. I say we go grab something to eat and head back." She sighed. "We shouldn't have left Remus alone in the first place anyways."

The boys contemplated her suggestion, realising that she had a point. It was a full moon that night, what were they thinking wandering around town while Moony was all alone back at the Potter mansion?

"Good plan, love," James agreed, as the other two dutifully nodded. She smiled. "Great. Come on."

She headed towards the door and pushed it open, the sound of bells jangling as the three of them followed behind her.

The moment they pushed open the doors to the bakery, they were enveloped with the tantalising, comforting scent of hot cocoa and warm pastries. The boys' crankiness instantly dissipated as they wandered around the store, taste-testing the samples and inhaling in the delicious smell of freshly baked goods. Nothing could lift their spirits like food.

James grinned, licking his lips as he'd just finished sampling a jam biscuit. He turned to offer one to Brooklyn, seeing as it was cherry, her favourite flavour. "Hey, love, you should really try—"

He stopped short, his eyes narrowing.

Brooklyn, unaware of James' gaze burning into her back, laughed as the boy behind the counter told her another joke. His name was Travis, and he was pretty damn attractive, with sandy blonde hair, tan skin and a blinding smile. Plus, he had a great sense of humour. She wasn't interested, but she didn't mind having a little friendly conversation. No harm, right?

James chose that exact moment to walk over, annoyance flashing across his face. He gave the other guy a quick once-over, scowling as he did so. Travis didn't seem to notice his rigid behaviour as he turned his attention away from Brooklyn to smile politely at James.

"Oh, hey. Can I help you with something?"

Brooklyn grinned. "Travis, this is James. He's the friend I'm staying with for the holidays. James, this is Travis. His friend's dad owns the store."

Travis' smile widened. "Nice to meet you, mate. Brooklyn and I were just talking about—"

James cut him off irritably. "Yeah, well, that was the last conversation you're ever going to have with her," he snapped before taking Brooklyn by the hand and pulling her away quickly, much to her protests.