twenty-eight: all i want for christmas

Chapter Twenty-Eight

(Super long chapter, yay! THIS ONE IS ONE OF MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITES AND IM REALLY EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS TO READ IT. also includes two flashbacks. Enjoy!)

--------------------------------------------

Third year

"Merry Christmas, Potter."

James glanced down confusedly at the perfectly wrapped present in her hand, then back up at her stony expression. She continued to hold it out towards him grudgingly, glaring at him in annoyance as if there were a million things she would rather be doing at that moment.

Recovering his wits, he grinned stupidly, taking it from her grasp and holding it up to turn it around in his hands and examine the silver wrapping paper and shiny red bow. "Wow, thanks, Jones." He smirked as he shook it carefully, hearing the satisfying sound of the contents rattling. "I know you love me and all, but you really didn't have to, you know."

"Actually, I did," she huffed irritably, refusing to look him in the eye. "Professor McGonagall said all the third-year Gryffindors were required to give each other presents this year, remember?"

James gave her a blank look. "She did?"

"Yes, but it's not like you ever bother to pay attention to her anyways."

"Oh." He shrugged, unconcerned. "Well, that's too bad then. Seems like none of the third-years will be getting any presents from me this year. Whoops."

"What a bloody tragedy. After last year's incident, they'll be truly disappointed," Brooklyn remarked sarcastically, rolling her eyes. James was prone to pulling off pranks during Christmas by wrapping up explosive items and handing them out to unsuspecting victims. Once, a first-year Hufflepuff had actually passed out from shock in the middle of the corridor after opening one.

He smirked once more. "Don't worry, love, of course I got you something. It's not here, obviously. It's a surprise. You'll have to wait until it's actually Christmas Day."

She rolled her eyes again. "Can't wait."

Not the least bit disheartened by her indifference, his grin widened as he examined his present once again, now holding it carefully like it was the world's most precious jewel (which to him it was, in a way.) After all, it wasn't every day the girl he fancied gave him a Christmas present. Even if she hadn't had a choice.

"So, what did ya get me, Jones?" He screwed up his face in concentration, trying to think. "A wedding ring? Flowers? Chocolates with love potion in them? You know you don't need those. You've already got my heart."

Her face turned bright red. "They're just a measly box of Sugar Quills. I got them for everyone, get over yourself!"

"You should really stop denying it to yourself, love," He teased, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. She knocked it off with an irritated huff. "Denying what?"

"That you're in love with me."

She groaned. "I am NOT—"

At that very moment, Sirius appeared, grinning at both of them cheerfully. "What's going on?"

Brooklyn didn't bother to grace him with an answer. She simply scowled, turned on her heel and marched down the hallway, making sure to bump his shoulder hard as she left.

James turned to Sirius casually. "I'm going to marry her one day, you know."

"Whatever you say, mate," Sirius teased, earning him a shove from James as the two of them made their way down the corridor.