Modern Medicine

Modern hospital AU bc I have no idea what hospitals were like in the 1920's. It's one thing Wikipedia can't do

It was a shock to say the least when a real life wizard came into your hospital. You'd heard about them, read about them, met people who knew them or were related to them, but you never expected to meet one yourself, and you certainly never expected to have to treat one; St. My go's Hospital fo Magical Maladies and Injuries was just down the street. But, if the man wanted to be treated by you, you weren't allowed to deny the man from medical treatment by law- even if he carried a wand and a bigger-on-the-inside suitcase. Despite your colleagues' worries about treating someone with a completely different physiology, you were excited. It was something completely new, and wasn't that why you'd become a doctor in the first place? To learn?

Luckily, since all of the other residents were too scared to mess him up, you were put on the case.

"Hello, I'm Dr. (L/N). What seems to be the problem today?" You asked cordially as you approached the man sitting on the stiff white ER bed. You yanked a blue curtain from the wall to separate the wizard from the stares and whispers of the rest of the room. He certainly stood out. It was like he made no effort to blend in- and that he did it on purpose.

The wizard had sandy hair, nervous blue eyes, and a wonderful constellation of freckles on his face. He was wearing an impossible amount of layers in a myriad of strange but complimentary colors, with yellow vest, navy and grey stitched coat, and a modest bow tie. He completed the look with a tan case tucked behind his legs protectively, and of course, the wind poking out of his right pocket. He looked professional yet awkward, and somehow utterly compelling.

He started as you spoke to him. "Oh- um, hello there, I-I just was having some throat problems, and some trouble breathing, I think."

"I see, how long has this been going on?" You wrote his symptoms down on the clipboard.

"About two days now." The wizard said, clearing his throat. "My name is Newt Scamander, by the way."

You blushed. "Oh, yes, right, forgot about that. It's nice to meet you, Mr. Scamander."

Newt smiled warmly. "Likewise."

You turned slightly away to hide the heat in your cheeks as you wrote his name down on his chart. Newt Scamander. What an interesting name.

"And this is something you're sure we can take care of?" You asked with an upturn of your lips.

Newt blinked. "I-I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean."

"Is it a... magical issue? I'd just like to make sure we have all the right materials."

"Oh. No, it's um, it's perfectly normal. Well, normal medicine, not normal considering my health. I hardly ever fall ill, you know-"

"Thank you, Mr. Scamander," You nodded slightly, raising an eyebrow. "Have there been any recent environmental or psychological changes that you've been through that you think could have caused this?"

Newt thought for a moment, his lips pursed and his brow creased in thought. You felt your body shiver, totally transfixed with the elegance of his expression. "I work around animals." He offered.

"Animals?" You repeated. "Could it be allergies?"

"No, I've worked around them for most of my life," he smiled in reminiscence, shifting in place. He rubbed his hands together restlessly and eyed his case. You eyed the locked latches on the case and was struck by a strong desire to see what was inside.

"What's in there?" You asked, then immediately flushed. "Oh, if you don't mind me asking, sorry."

Newt jumped, a look of soft embarrassment and admiration climbing onto his face. "Just things."

"Just things?" You smirked. "Nothing magical, nothing dangerous... nothing totally, unexplainably extraordinary?"

The man dipped his head again, doing his best to hide the all-knowing grin on his lips. "No, nothing special. Just me and my things, I'm afraid."

You flipped over the page to the medical backgrounds section, quietly harrumphing at the obvious ambiguity of his answers. Then, you thought of another way to find more about the strange wizard sitting in front of you.

"So, you're a... a wizard, correct?" You whispered to him, leaning in close. Your eyes sparkled with concealed curiosity.

"Uh, yes," he laughed nervously. "Should I go to the St. Mungo's down the street?"

"No!" You cried, far too loudly for the ER. You weren't even close to finding out what you wanted to know about wizards. Your cheeks turned red and you pushed a piece of hair out of your face. "I-I mean, that won't be necessary. This sounds like a, uh, no-maj problem."

Newt's face turned a dusty pink. "Oh, yes, thought so."

You shook your head to get yourself out of your stupor and moved on to the allergies and pre-existing medical conditions section.

"Just to clarify... you don't have any known allergies to the animals you work with?"

He nodded, "Yes. I mean, no- er, it's complicated."

You took that as a yes and scribbled it down.

"And what about any pre-existing medical conditions? Heart problems, anemia, mental health... that sort of thing."

"No, none of that." Newt shook his head.

You brought the end of your pen to your teeth, biting down. You didn't want to scare him, but unless you knew more, there was a very likely chance you'd do what all of your colleagues had been scared to do: mess him up.

"Well, there's several things that could be causing this. It could be as simple as Heartburn to as serious as thyroid cancer," you sighed, tapping the end of your pen against the clipboard. Newt's face went white.

"But it's probably not that's serious!" You laughed, hoping to break the tension. "We'll get some samples from St. Mungo's and test you for potential allergies. There are many, many things that could be causing this, I wouldn't worry if I were you."

Newt nodded and smiled gratefully. "Good, good." He waited for you to say something, and when you didn't, started with a jolt. "Should I just wait here?"

"Oh, yes. I'll go make the call and then you're free to go. It might take a while to get them to send over the testers and then even then you might have to go to St. Mungo's, but hopefully it won't come to that." You didn't want to admit it, but you'd be disappointed if Newt Scamander didn't come back to your hospital. You liked him.

"I can do that," he paused. "I think I'd prefer to stay here, though."

You ducked your head, unable to keep a delighted grin off your face. "I'll make sure to tell them that."

You pushed aside the curtain and hurried away from Newt's bed, a satisfied smile lingering on your lips. You got to the phone and opened the phone book for the number to St. Mungo's. You were about to press the call button when you remembered one last thing you needed to ask Newt Scamander.

You dropped the phone and rushed back to the hospital bed where Newt was waiting. Your sneakers squeaked on the waxed floor, grabbing his attention, and you skidded to a stop in front of his bed with your cheeks blazing.

"Sorry... I just, uh, forgot something that I needed to ask you," you gulped and tucked a piece of hair behind your ear.

Newt jumped and smiled nervously, a redness settling onto his face. You wanted to laugh at how easily embarrassed you both were.

"Yes, sorry, what is it?" He inquired.

You smiled and asked, "Would you like to go to dinner with me?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~