Four: Girl

As I lay in my bed, I sigh. Yesterday started of good, and I went to the local high school as normal, to do my job as security. I was sorting out some new kids time table when I got an email saying I was fired for not being 'cheery' enough. I mean, seriously! I know I'm not the happiest person, but I'm not that bad. Sure, there are days a student asks me a simple question and I just snap at them, but doesn't everyone has those days?

It told me that I had till the end of the day to get all my stuff and myself out of school grounds. And the bloody headmaster didn't even have the decency to fire me in person. That's the worst than your boyfriend breaking up with you through text!

My day was turned absolutely around when I received a cheesy note from Park. He gave me his number and everything – wow, I really sound like a thirteen year old girl who got her crush to notice her. I'd never really had a crush or payed any attention to boys for that matter. Even if I did, I doubt my five older brothers wouldn't hesitate to kill the person. My dad was left unknown to me and the only person I had left was my older brothers and mother.

I knew my mother loved me but she did little to show it. She was always drunk and bringing home a new guy every night. When I was twelve my eldest brother Calum finally had enough of our mothers behaviour and took me away to live with him – and all my other brothers. It was just me and my brothers in a one room apartment for a while. I didn't mind much and was just happy to get away from my drunken mother. Luckily the couch that Calum had was a pull out bed, so three of my sibling slept on there and me and the rest of my brothers slept in the double bed. Calum went to a university near by and looked after us all.

A year later my second eldest brother, Collin graduated with his twin, Conor. They both were overly smart and where as Conor was the family clown, always lightening the mood, Collin was the opposite. He knew how to comfort anyone and reassure them at there drakest time.

Finally the youngest out of my brothers, Cole. He was the trouble maker of the family and was always willing on going on an adventure. He reminded me a lot of Peter Pan in the sence that he'd never wanted to past the age of eighteen and go off to university. Hell, I didn't even think Cole wanted to past the age of five.

Not that I blame him. Being five meant not knowing a single thing about life, and not knowing a single thing about life meant not having a single worry, and not having a single worry meant not having a care in the world. In other words; I wouldn't have to worry about my mother.

Cole left to America as soon as he graduated, without a single goodbye. Cole finally contacted me a year ago. My brothers refused to forgive him for leaving but I couldn't stay angry at my older brother for long. We talk a couple of times a week and he has picked up quite the American accent. I sometimes find myself saying American words as well – picking the words up from Cole's endless chatter – such as 'high school'.

Not having anything else to do – and really wanting to – I descide to phone Park. He picks up on the third ring. His cheery voice is the first thing I hear.

"Hello? This is Parker Flower, may I ask who is calling?" His words are light and polite but I only pick out one word from the sentence.

"Your second name is Flower?" I snort. I can almost see the red in his cheeks and I wish I was there to witness it.

"This is not my fault, okay? If I could choose my second name, I sure as hell wouldn't choose Flower!" He defends quickly.

I giggle and regain my composure in a couple seconds, however Park's next words sends me in laughter again. "Erm, so... who exactly is this?"

It shouldn't have been that funny, but for some reason it was, "Zoe. Remember me? The girl who stamped on your masculinity and is now doing it again?"

"Ha ha ha." he says sarcastically, but his next words are serious, "How could I ever forget such a gorgeous girl?"

I clearly my throat, not really knowing how to respond, so I am quick to change the subject. "Anyway, the real reason I'm ringing is because I was wondering if you wanted to hang out." I stutter, my confidence vanishing.

"Of course I would!"

I grin widely. "In that case, I'll meet you by St. Peter's church, by the park, Park."

I press end call and jump out of bed to get ready. Although no words along the lines of a date were said... it still felt like I should dress nice for Park – even if he has saw my countless times before in my sweats at the coffee shop.

It felt different this time though. Where as me and Park were once strangers I now know his name and have his number. Even though I knew close to nothing about him, I already felt like I could trust him.

Oh, what are you doing to me Park?
____________

I thought I'd give you a bit of a backround story on Zoe. I might explain a little bit more about Park's past on a later chapter.

~ thatstelenalife