mess

Guys my age don't know how to treat me, don't know how to please me

        ~ Anna

"It's like you're cheating on Jack, Anna!"  Screamed Carissa.

Not again for fucks sake. "Do I get bonus points if I act like I care? You're really annoying me, y'know."

She looked so pissed off. "If I'm that annoying why am I the one you're always looking for to tell stuff about Mr. Styles and you, huh?"

"Touchè."

  At least Lana Del Rey understands me, I thought. 

As we were in the class, I saw her looking over something and following his gaze I saw a bunch of guys. I supposed he must like one of them.

But what I didn't expect was seeing the asshole that nearly bullied her last year. 

Seriously?

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed her arm and looked at her with that sarcastic look I used to be giving people a lot lately.

"And you laugh at me for liking Mr. Styles?"

Then I realized I said that too loud.

Damn.

I looked around me and saw Mr. Styles all smiley walking in the class.

Hope he didn't hear me...

But something in my head says he did. 

            +

When class ended he told us that we all did great and that we had an assignment that was do three weeks from Friday. We were to write an essay on our thoughts today. Why the main character was heroic and why the monster acted the way he did.

Before I could leave the classroom, Harry called me back.

"Yes," I asked groaning internally.

"You should join creative writing club." He told me. "There was a meeting yesterday and I was surprised you didn't show considering that was the one thing I thought you liked to do. To write, right? Well, why aren't you in creative writing club?"

"I only write poetry." I lied, causing him to raise an eyebrow at me.

"Lying is not a becoming quality in a young lady. There's another meeting tomorrow. Come, bring your poetry. I'm sure you'll like it."

If it meant I could gawk at him, there was no doubt in my mind I'd be showing up. I pushed that thought away. Clearly, that was a reason not to go.

I was sure he saw the conflict on my face because he spoke before I could. "Just...try it. We meet in here at three forty. I hear it gives people enough time to come across campus."

My lips twitched and the corners of his mouth turned up a bit. "It wouldn't kill you. Think about it."

I would and I did.

The next day I stayed behind after the bell rang releasing the car riders, causing him to smile widely.

When the room cleared out, he spoke to me, voice like silk. "I knew you couldn't stay away. You'll like it. I promise."

        +

After the meeting, everyone left but Mr. Styles and me. He began to pick up the papers scattered on every other desk and I helped.

"How was it?" He asked as I came to him, handing him the papers I'd collected.

"Nerve-wracking." I admitted.

"Well, I mean, that's everything in life. Everything is scary in the beginning but once you do it enough times it because pleasurable."

I wasn't sure but I was certain he was making a reference to sex. No, I thought, it was just my dirty mind.

"It's like riding a bike." He said interrupting my thoughts. "Once you're on, you're on. The hard part is nearly over."

I nodded as I leaned on one of the student desks. "Don't get me wrong, I really liked it. It was...fun."

"So you'll come again next week?"

"Maybe." I shrugged. "It kind of interferes with Jack's practices though. He doesn't like when I miss them."

Before he could comment, my foot slipped on the slick speckled floor and the desk I was leaning on fell forward with a bag. I too fell to the floor with a huff. I laughed involuntarily as I covered my face with my hands.

"Oh, god, I can't believe I just did that."

Mr. Styles laughed too, causing me to remove my hands from covering my eyes. When I did, I saw that he had his hand extended out towards me. I took it and he helped me up.

"Yes, that was really smooth, Anna."

As he pulled me up, another teacher entered the room to see what had caused the commotion. I recognized the man as Mr. Miller from a couple of halls over. His eyes locked on Harry and my hands then the fallen desk.

"Is everything alright in here?" He asked.

Harry released my hand and put them in his pants pockets.

"Yeah," I said going to fix the fallen desk. "I'm just a klutz. For your information, slick shoes on a slick surface do not go well together."

I pointed to my shoes after I fixed the desk.

"It's alright, Anna. No harm done."

I noticed Mr. Miller look at Harry strangely. There was no doubt in my mind it was about the first name basis thing.

"I should go. But thanks for telling me about the writing club, Mr. Styles. I had fun."

"I'll see you here next week, right?" He asked as I walked towards the door.

Mr. Miller took a step to the right to give me room to get out.

I turned and began to walk backwards slowly. "Maybe. I'll check with Jack."

He nodded as I left.