Unveiling the Mansion

Rain poured outside the glass windows while thunder struck every now and then. Huge grey thunderclouds rolled by overhead. The lights flickered in the white tiled room while a blue marker moved across the board. A cheap plastic silver wall clock ticked slowly in the background. Words ran through your head, but they held no meaning. Wooden and metal chairs lined the area while wooden desks sat in front of the chairs. People sat in the chairs, some asleep, some bored, some intrigued by the teacher's lecture on educational summer ideas. However, you were none of those three. Her words meant nothing to you, you only thought about your trip later this afternoon.

You waited for the last day of school to end. Yesterday, you had graduated high school, yet the school still made you come on the last day. Sighing, you watched the rain droplets hit the ground below, soaking into the dirt path that led out of the school. Trees in hues of dark greens, swayed their branches and leaves in the wind. A single green leaf blew past the window and went into the direction of the forest. That's where your destination was, that's where the stone mansion lay in wait.

Ever since you came to this school, you've been able to see that mansion. Though, no one else could see it. You would ask your friends about it, but they only stared at you like you were crazy. However, today you would prove to them that it existed. Sure it probably wasn't the smartest of ideas to walk onto the property of an apparently invisible mansion, but you were tired of receiving weird looks from your friends. Your thoughts were soon disturbed by your name being called.

"____, tell me what are your plans for the summer," asked the teacher from the front of the room.

Staring at her, you didn't know how to answer. You couldn't tell her that you planned to go seek out a mansion that no one else could see.

"I don't know," you replied simply.

"Then I suggest you pay a little more attention to my lecture," she said, as her eyes held disapproval in them.

You were quite happy that this would be the last day that you would see Mrs. Grantfield. She constantly gave you disapproving looks despite the fact that you held a 3.9 GPA and were one of the top students in the school. Sure you never gave her class that much attention, but that was only when she talked about information that had nothing to do with her subject, which was AP Psychology. Thus since the test was now over, you found no point in listening to her lectures.

So when she continued to drone on about summer plans, you turned your attention towards the storm outside. Tapping your pen against your notebook, you watched as the intensity of the rain increased. It pelted itself against the window, making the scenery beyond almost impossible to see anymore. Lightning struck the ground in the distance, as the hour hand hit the three on the clock. A loud bell rang throughout the school, as the school building shot up into an uproar of excited students ready for summer break. You watched your fellow classmates spring out of their seats and run for the classroom door.

Their movements seemed fast in comparison to yours. You saw no rush in getting out of the building. Instead it would probably be best to wait for the storm of students to exit the building first. That way you didn't have to worry about getting pushed around like a rag doll. Thus you collected your things and placed your backpack on your shoulders. Mrs. Grantfield was already absent from the room while her notes written in blue remained on the board. Giving one last look at the empty classroom, you walked into the hall.

However, you were tackled back into the classroom. Your backpack somehow kept you from hitting your head on the tiled floor. Looking up, you saw your friend Annalisa on top of you. Her pink floral patterned dress flowed out around her while a black jacket covered her shoulders. She quickly apologized before helping you back up. Soon she began jumping up and down, as her vibrant red hair in curled pigtails bounced around her head. You knew that something good must have happened in order for her to be so hyper. Then again maybe someone made the mistake of giving her a can of soda. Her grey eyes sparkled, as she took your hands in hers.

"____, _____ guess what?"

"I'm listening."

"I got a coupon for a free thing of frozen yogurt. Isn't that exciting?"

"I guess," you stated, laughing slightly at her childish behavior.

"So what's this about a free frozen yogurt?" asked a voice from the halls.

Your other friend Hannah walked into the room, her black hair flowing down to her mid-back. A grey skirt matched her light blue v-neck, which was covered by a brown jacket. Her sharp brown eyes glanced over Annalisa's shoulders to look at the coupon in her hand.

"Hmm, maybe we can go after we check out ____'s mansion that she claims is in the woods."

"It's there, trust me," you stated, sighing at your friend's doubt.

"Sure it is, ____," sang Annalisa.

Rolling your eyes, you walked out of the classroom and into the now quiet halls. Your wedged brown knee high boots clicked against the tiled halls. You were glad that you decided to bring your grey hoodie, which covered your dark blue button-up shirt. Furthermore, it was still cold outside despite it being summer, so wearing a pair of beige colored skinny jeans helped as well. Annalisa and Hannah followed you to the entrance door of the school building while Annalisa's black flats made very little noise against the floor. Furthermore, Hannah's light blue tennis shoes made very little sound as well.

Reaching the entrance, you pulled your backpack to the front of you. Unzipping the back pocket, you retrieved three raincoats, a dark blue one for yourself, a grey one for Annalisa and a light blue one for Hannah. Handing two of the raincoats over, the three of you put them on, prepared for the storm outside. Upon opening the main doors, a strong gust of wind almost blew you over, but you stood your ground. When it passed, you walked onto the dirt path outside and headed towards the side path that led into the forest.

Having the forest right next to the school was both convenient and slightly terrifying. It was convenient for the sake of classes that would involve the outdoors. For instance in physical education, the class would go on a weekly run through the forest path. Another example would be the biology class going into the forest for an outside experiment. However, you couldn't help but feel an ominous presence within the forest, especially since you were only one that could see the mansion. Furthermore, sometimes you swore that you saw something weird moving within the trees. You would try your best to ignore it, but its hidden eyes seemed to follow you.

Heading down the path, you kept your eyes straight, not wanting to catch sight of something strange. You thought it was your mind playing tricks on you, but something told you that wasn't the case. Though, you kept focus, listening for anything in the trees. Your friends thought you ridiculous for being so cautious, since they never saw anything threatening within the woods. Annalisa kept going on about the coupon, her voice ringing throughout the forest. Constantly, you told her to keep her voice down, but she only laughed you off. Her behavior sometimes made you wonder how she ever managed a 3.6 GPA. On the other hand Hannah merely looked bored before she started talking about the wildlife in the forest. She loved animals and stated that she wanted to become a vet when she was older. This meant her studies were one of her top priorities, which was indication of her 4.0 GPA.

With your two friends talking, they seemed to calm your nerves a little bit. You were indeed intrigued by the mansion, but you only wished it wasn't tucked away in this forest. Luckily for you the path split up ahead; one of those paths leading directly to the mansion. However, everyone else claimed that it only led to a dead end.

As you progressed down the path, the rain continued. Another lightning strike occurred somewhere outside the forest. The sound was loud, but it couldn't hide the fact that something just moved in the trees. You stopped dead in your tracks and stared into the trees, squinting to see if the thing that created the movement was still there. Your two friends halted their movement as well and glanced over to where you were looking.

"Something moved in the trees over there."

"Oh ____, you're just being silly again."

However, it moved again and Annalisa instantly became quiet. The three of you watched the area intently, waiting for something to strike. Though, out of the trees came a brown bunny. It stood on its hind legs, sniffing the air before heading back into the trees. At that moment Annalisa burst into laughter while Hannah only shook her head a little. You pushed Annalisa playfully before you laughed a little yourself. As Annalisa and Hannah started to walk, you saw something move once again in the trees. Still focused on the trees, you saw glowing green eyes. As soon as you saw them, they disappeared once more.

Calming yourself down, you continued onwards. Up ahead was the split in the path and you three took the right one. The path became more narrow while the tree branches intertwined above, creating an archway. Few rain drops made it through the tree canopy. Though, water wasn't hitting you constantly anymore, you couldn't help, but think that something would attack from above. Thus you quickened your pace in order to get out of the arched path. Hannah and Annalisa only shook their heads at your paranoid behavior and kept up with you.

Once out of the arched trees, you could see the mansion. A dark green hedge surrounded it while an iron gate blocked off the entrance to it. Behind the gate lay a path outlaid with small grey stone rocks. You couldn't see the rest of the courtyard for the hedge blocked it from your view. However, the mansion itself stood three stories high and was very visible to your (e/c) eyes. Its stone grey walls and many windows with some illuminated gave the building an intimidating, yet beautiful vibe.

Out of excitement you pointed to the mansion, exclaiming, "Do you see it now?"

Both of your friends shook their heads. Of course they couldn't see it, but you were determined to have your way. Maybe if you moved closer something might change. Thus you went closer to the mansion. Each time you did so; you asked the same question and still received a no in response. Now at the gates of the mansion, you asked one last time. Still they couldn't catch sight of the grand building. Not knowing what else to do, you went up to the gates and tried to open them. To your surprise they opened for you.

The sound of creaking iron resonated throughout the area. Annalisa jumped into the air at the sudden sound while Hannah looked completely shocked at hearing the noise.

"_____, where did that come from?" asked Annalisa scared.

"The mansion's gate," you stated.

"_____, don't joke with us. There's no mansion," Hannah said, her voice a little shaky.

Sighing, you walked past the gate into the domain of the mansion's courtyard. You signaled your friends to follow you. They were hesitant at first. As they moved closer to where you were standing, you examined the courtyard. Rich green grass lay on both sides of you while multiple bushes and flowers were spread throughout the space. Stone structures like vases on stands and pots, which held more flowers, scattered themselves throughout the courtyard as well. Suddenly you heard two very loud gasps behind you. Looking at your friends, you saw shock and wonder present within their eyes. They had at last seen the marvelous mansion.