Five: Boy

My feet scrape the gravel as I swing softly on the swing. A wide smile covers my face at the thought of Zoe. She had phoned me because she had wanted my company.

What started out as two people simply seeing eachother everyday at a small broken down coffee shop, turned into so much more. And I was glad.

I'd never really had any friends, or family for that matter, so if never really known what it felt like to be loved and I certainly didn't know how to give it either.

My only friend was Jade and maybe even Joe – the guy that owned the place I worked at – and possibly James. James and Jade were Joe's nephew and niece. It was sort of a family business with just the three of them until I came along, in desperate need for a job. James was silent most of the time, but we'd always been friendly with eachother.

Most people would class me as a loner, and I suppose I am, but not by choice. As sad as this sounds, I never had anyone to hang out with. Jade is always spending time with her boyfriend, and only God knows where James goes of to. I suppose I could hang out with Joe, but he spends a lot on the time at the graveyard where his wife is burried.

And that's why I was so excited about seeing Zoe. She'd actually asked to meet up with me. I still couldn't wrap my head around it.

I finally see Zoe walking towards me with a small smile on her face, and I knew she was trying to restrain herself from making the smile bigger. However, I did not stop myself from my smile becoming so wide that my cheeks hurt. I ran over to her and engulfed her in a bear hug.

"Oh!" Zoe was definitely suprised but she finally relaxed and wrapped her small arms around my neck.

When I pull away from Zoe, she has a blush covering her creamy cheeks. "Hi!"

"Hey." Zoe mumbles, looking down. My smile drops. Maybe hugging her was a tad too much?

No kidding Sherlock.

Hey! I have no experiences with girls, remember? Jade like it when I hug her.

I take a step back and lower my head in shame. Trust me to make the girl I want to be friends with, run for the hills while thinking what a complete weirdo I am.

"Erm, I'm sorry. I shouldn't of done that." I say as Zoe looks up at me confused, "I'll just be going now."

I walk past her and stay heading towards the here to exit the park.

"Wait!" I keep my body facing the gate but turn my head to look at Zoe. "But you just got here." she whispers.

Wait. She didn't want me to go?

"Oh, I thought you'd want me to go." I say, turning around to fully face her with my hands in my pocket. "You know, after the whole hug thing."

Zoe shakes her head and chuckles, (do girls even chuckle?) "I actually like hugs."

"You do?" Zoe nods her head quickly and I laugh softly, "So do I."

"Anyway.... I come baring gifts." Zoe said waggling a shopping bag in the air.

•••

Two hours later me and Zoe were sitting down on the ground by the slide, with a bottle of vodka coke and a bag of marshmallows.

I'd never drunk before apart from a beer one time, and I'll tell you something – I didn't like it one bit. Zoe had bought a big bottle of coke and a bottle of vodka. We'd tipped half of the Coke away and purred some vodka in it. The vodka burned my throat as I took a swing of it. I made a sour face soon after.

Zoe giggles. "You don't like that much, do you?" I shake my head and Zoe giggles some more. "Don't worry neither do I. "

I smile at her and put the Coke bottle to one side and grab a marshmallow. "Okay," I say, chewing the fluffy marshmallow, "Let's play twenty questions. You start."

Zoe think for a moment and her face lights up when she finally think of a question. "What's your favourite thing t do?"

"Oooo, that's easy. I love decorating Christmas trees. Every year I buy a new ornament to put on the tree. I simply love it." I say smiling at the thought of Christmas, "Okay, my turn. If you could meet any celebrity, who would it be?"

"Rainbow Rowell." she says without hesitation, "She's my favourite author and her books are awsome. My favourite book by her would be Carry On."

"I love her too! And Carry On has to be the best book in history." I grin while Zoe looks at me with shock.

"You read." I nod my head, "Raibow Rowell." I nod my head again, "Carry on?" I nod again. "Wow, I didn't think boys read."

I put my hand over my heart as if in pain and gasp. "How dare you? I feel insulted!" Zoe giggles at my overreaction.

I made her laugh and smile so many times today, and it felt great. Her smile could light up the world. And her laugh, her laugh could light up the entire universe.

I know, that sounds cheesy, but I'm finding that a lot of things I say and think are that nowadays

Zoe visibly shivers and I start unbuttoning my coat. "Do you want my coat?"

Zoe looks up at me and shakes her head, while I frown. "I've got a coat. You'll be sick if you give me yours."

The frown disappears on my face and I am back to my happy self, knowing that she care. "Then we should go some place warmer." I suggest.

She nods her head."How about we go to my apartment and watch Christmas movies?"

"Yes!" I say jumping up. I loved Christmas movies and loved the fact that Zoe was inviting me into her home more.

Zoe laughs at my response, but slowly stands up aswell. She starts walking but I stop her by putting my hand on her harm. She turns around to look at me, and ever so slowly, I drag my hand down so it is holding hers tight, all while maintaining eye contact with Zoe.

And that's how we walk to Zoe's apartment. Hand in hand.