Black Eyes

I couldn't sleep at night. I continued to toss and turn.

I called Eric and he'd suggested to come over.

Led in by my bedroom window, he crawled in and slept in bed beside me.

Wrapped in his arms, I eventually drifted off into sleep.

**

Friday morning I was getting ready to drive to school.

My mind was eased with the whole Marcello thing, and my heart was content with getting back with Eric.

He ended up giving me a ride to school and suggested to drive me back home afterwards.

I choose to go to first period, when usually I'd end up skipping it because I wanted to avoid Abby, but today I was hoping I'd overlook her.

Without difficulty, I arrived to first period and continued my school work. Luckily, Abby was switched out of my class.

After last period, it was the end of the school day and I made my way to the front entrance to the campus.

Annoyingly, Jesse spotted me from a distance and quickly approached me.

I attempted to speed my pace to try to avoid him, but he instantly caught me.

"Danica!" his voice aggravated.

I turned to face him, "What, Jesse?"

An oversized hoodie covered half of his face, "Tell your boyfriend that what he did yesterday was-"

Yesterday?

I cut him off before he could continue, "Hold on, when did you see him?"

"At the game! He did this to me!" Jesse swiped his hoodie off of his face to reveal a recently stitched temple, along with small cuts all over his face.

I gasped in disbelief, "What did you say to him?"

Jesse pulled over his hoodie to hide his accident, "I'm not putting up with his-" his eyes lingered onto my neck as he trailed off, "Is he abusing you?!"

I quickly shook my head, "No, he isn't! And can you keep it down?"

Heads turned to us with open ears as he continued to draw the attention, "Then how'd you get those bruises on your neck! It's the print of a hand."

I glanced over to the road beside the sidewalk we were at, I noticed Eric's car pull in the parking lot. I needed Jesse to leave, before Eric mauls him.

"He did not hurt me, now, you have to go!" I attempted to push him away.

He grew suspicious, "Why? Tell me who did that to you!" His voice raised at me as he clamped onto my shoulders shaking me as if I was some rag doll.

"Go away, Jesse!" I pleaded as I seen Eric's car get closer.

My heart was beating increasingly fast, I was not looking for trouble. Not right now.

Jesse noticed my eyes darting to his car and so he also took a look.

He scoffed, "Oh here he comes! I'll tell him myself!" He began to storm off to Eric's Porsche.

Eric cut the engine and immediately jumped out the car, his face in fury and wrath.

Crap. He's going to kill him.

I took a glance around at the huge audience of bystanders beginning to form.

"What a nerve you have to lay a finger on Danica!" Eric began to stomp towards Jesse, until I scurried to hold Eric back.

Jesse laughed, "Me?! You're the one choking her!"

Eric's brows pulled together as he frowned in confusion, "What're you talking about?"

"Her neck! Are you trying to kill her?" Jesse took a step closer to Eric, and soon enough they were nearly two feet from each other.

This was not going to end well.

Eric's eyes flickered at the purple marks on my neck, with a blank mask. The blood drained from his face of the shocking disbelief.

Fuming visibly, he got enough of the brutal image, automatically knowing exactly who did it. He stared past me with anger in his eyes.

Everyone was now quiet.

In this instant, Eric knew the ugly truth from someone he loathed.

"Get in the car," Eric's voice snarled through his clenched teeth at me. Without hesitation, I did as I was told.

He walked to his side of the car, when Jesse shouted over the vehicle, "What?! You're scared 'cause it's true?"

Reaching for the handle, Eric paused. He marched to him with his nostrils flared and his jaw locked, "I'm very close to ripping your head off. Don't push it."

Jesse crossed his arms, then he challenged him acidly, "Sounds like you have a temper... I bet you take it out on Danica all the time, don't you?"

"I would never hurt her." Eric belligerently rose his voice.

"Right, as if I'm going to believe that." Jesse rolled his eyes.

"You're a waste of my time," Eric shook his head angrily and paced back to the Porsche.

Jesse shouted something back, but I couldn't hear over the revving of the car.

Eric then spoke when he drove off, "What did Marcello do to you?"

I chose not to speak. I didn't want to remember.

"Danica! You have to give me answers here!" he pleaded.

We got to his house and I walked in, still avoiding his question.

I knew for a fact I was not going to mention the ring. Was iy bad that I still had an eye out for it? I had strong motives: Marcello would leave us alone, I would be safe, and besides, why does Eric want it? Unless there's another reason why he wants to keep it.