Run of the Stag

Run of the Stag

James carried Lucy. She clung onto his torso, pressing her eyes into his neck as he wrapped his arms around her and ran. She was hiccupping from crying so much, the stress squeezing her from the inside out, it seemed. The nightgown she wore was thin and worn and the air was cold and he knew she had to be freezing - teeth chattering, lips slowly paling to a strange blue shade... Hell, James himself was freezing and he had on his oxford and Gryffindor jumper at least. He ducked through the square in the center of Grimmauld Place and raced through the trees, purposely going through gardens to be lost amongst the thick brush. He raced through the far gate and sped down an alleyway that led between houses onto another street nearly identical to Grimmauld Place.

He wished bitterly that Sirius was there.

Not only did Sirius know how to make stressful situations like this one seem somehow less frightening - with well placed humor and a bit of reckless grinning - but Sirius knew these streets, he had run from Orion through these streets, knew where to hide and where to go. James feared he was running in the wrong way, getting them into deeper trouble.

He ducked down a third alley, and hoping he'd gotten far enough to pause, at least, he stopped and knelt down, hurriedly unbuttoning his jumper and whipping it from his arms to wrap around the girl tightly. "Here we are, here we are. Is that better? A little, at least, yeah?"

"They're gonna catch us!" sobbed Lucy between hiccups, shivering and quite pitiful looking, "Gonna catch us, they're gonna kill us!"

James felt his heart very nearly break at how scared the poor tiny thing was and he wondered if the stuff he was feeling was anything at all like how his mum felt when he was upset. He madea resolution to write his mum the moment he got back to the castle. "Nooo, they won't get us" James whispered. He rubbed her arms, warming her up, "They won't, I'll see to it. I promise they won't hurt you again. I'll protect you." Lucy was still crying and the little choking sobs issuing from her echoed about the alleyway. "C'mon, love," James said thickly, reaching forward to softly brush away the hair that had fallen in her face, "It's going to be okay."

"How do you know?" she cried.

"Because, I've fought the Dark Lord before and I've won him over!" James nodded at her awe, "Yeah, that's right. I've taught You-Know-Who a thing or two!" James mimed punching a one-two-knockout and grinned at her reassuringly as Lucy stared up at him with wide, wet eyes, tears streaking across her cheeks. "I'm the only wizard in the world who Moldy Voldy is a'scared of, you know that? Shakes his boots at the name of James Potter!"

Lucy Minchum had heard exactly what she needed to. If she was gonna be with anybody out there in that cold street, running from the most terrible Dark Lord, then at least she was withJames Potter, the most feared wizard in all the world. She ran forward and wrapped her arms 'round him again, and he hugged her tight, feeling her little trembles against his arms and chest.

"As I said, love, I won't let 'em get you," James vowed.

And damn it he'd die before they would lay a finger upon her.

Suddenly there was a shout and James looked over his shoulder and there was Lucius Malfoy and two others and James leaped to his feet, scooping her up once more, and set off - his trainers slamming against the tar as he ran forward.

"Over here!" called Lucius, "He's over here - and he has the girl!"

The sound of Lucius Malfoy's footsteps echoed behind him and James felt his stomach flip over with nerves and he held Lucy all the tighter as they ran through the alley and he could see the next street ahead, like a bright light of promise.