Chapter 15

Ruby woke up by her daughter's cheering. Ruby looked at her daughter playing with covers and hugged her tightly. Ruby said to her daughter, "Let's eat out."

Elena frowned, "What about work?"

Ruby said with a smile, "I want to spend my time with my daughter, can't I?"

Elena cheered, "Yes, you can Mummy."

Ruby and Elena got ready and they went out for lunch at a local restaurant. Ruby had asked Shelly, but she had refused because she had already made plans. The pack members were enjoying their days doing whatever made them happy.

Ruby was sitting in front of her smiling daughter who was looking at the menu and making faces. Ruby loved that her daughter was smart and attentive. At that moment, Ruby was so proud of her daughter from all that she endured and it was gruesome.

The hunters and the witches wanted her killed because she was powerful, but Ruby didn't care about what she could do, she was happy of who her daughter was. Elena was almost killed that day, but by destiny default, they met.

A voice called, "Ruby!"

Ruby looked to her right and saw two individuals walking to Ruby's table. Ruby looked at her daughter and she was watching intensively to the new individuals. Ruby greeted, "Hello, Alex. Nice to see you again." Ruby looked at her second individual and said, "Jeremy."

Jeremy greeted sternly, "Ruby."

Elena asked, "Mummy, who are they?"

Ruby was about to answer her question when Alex spoke, "Do you mind if we sit with you?"

Ruby looked into Alex's hopeful eyes and agreed to it. She watched how Alex eagerly snatched another table's chair and said on other ends. Jeremy sat on the other end. Alex started again, "Is this your daughter?"

Ruby looked at her daughter and smiled. She said, "Mine only."

Jeremy remarked, "She doesn't look like you."

Ruby knew that they were complete opposites. While Ruby was brunette with brown eyes, Elena had blonde hair with blue eyes. She simply said, "I know."

Jeremy insisted, "Why is that?"

Alex intervened, "Dad, stop!"

Ruby said to Jeremy while looking at an entertained Elena, "Not everything is black and white." Ruby continued, "Sweetheart, what you want to eat?"

Elena responded, "Mummy, I want pasta."

Ruby nodded and ordered food for the small group, including Jeremy and Alex. But Ruby knew that they didn't need help, just blood.

The conversation had died and nobody wanted to start a conversation, so everyone stayed silent. Ruby and Elena were finished and Elena looked at Jeremy's and Alex's plates. Elena turned to Ruby and asked, "Mummy, why aren't they eating?"

Ruby shrugged her shoulders, "They are vampires."

That statement leads Alex to choke on a fry that he was eating and Jeremy simply staring at her with a blank stare. Elena said quietly, "Oh..."

Jeremy said, "You shouldn't have said that to her."

Ruby looked at Jeremy and said, "She is my daughter."

Alex explained, "I know that she has a werewolf gene, but she is too small to know these things."

Ruby said, "She is my heir and my daughter. She has the right to know. And that's not true."

Jeremy asked, "What is not true?"

Ruby said, "She doesn't have a werewolf gene."

Jeremy said, "But she is y--"

Ruby stood up and smiled, "It is getting late. We need to go, Elena."

Elena nodded and stood up as well. Elena walked next to Ruby and they started to walk towards their car. Elena asked, "Mummy, are they dangerous?"

Ruby smiled and said truly, "Everything that has a heartbeat is dangerous."

Elena asked curiously, "Even you, Mummy?"

Ruby said, "I will always protect you, Elena. Always and forever."

Elena smiled and nodded. Ruby helped her daughter to sat inside the car and put the belt on. She closed Elena's back door when someone stood next to her. She turned and saw Jeremy and she said, "We need to stop meeting like this."

He asked, "Do you want to stop?"

Ruby said, "I don't know."

He changed the subjects and asked, "Where is her father?"

Ruby shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know."

Jeremy looked at her like she has lost her mind. He tried again, "Fine. Give me his name and I will find him."

Ruby asked, "Why do you care?"

Jeremy opened his mouth, but Alex walked in and we looked at Alex's new arrival. Ruby said with a smile, "I am glad you came to me, Alex."

Alex nodded and said with the brightest grin, "Thank you."

Alex told his father that he will be waiting by Jeremy's car and he walked away from the other direction. Ruby looked at him going and said, "You have an amazing son."

"I know."

Ruby looked at him and genuinely smiled. Ruby opened her front car door, when Jeremy demanded, "Meet me by the East woods tonight."

Ruby asked, "Why?"

Jeremy smirked and said before he ran to his car, "Because I said so."

Ruby watched him go in the same direction as Alex. She got inside the car and started the engine. Elena was playing with her toys on the back seat, while Ruby recalled the moments that she had just spent with Jeremy and Alex.

*****

Read, vote and comment!