Chapter 20

A bright morning shined outside and Ruby was ready for a day out. She decided to explore the nearby farm that had her hypnotised since she had come. She reached the farm within an hour. It was green and alive and so free. Ruby had never felt peace like she was there.

She went to the farmers and talked. Ruby asked questions about their lives and they gladly answered them. It was amazing to socialise with strangers, a feeling of wonder. They suggested visiting the nearby lake.

When she reached there, the birds were singing and another piece of her heart was filled. She felt another person who forgot her duties and who she was. A small getaway of the drama that lately was surrounding her. She sat under a tree watching the mountain and water in front of her. Ruby smiled at the sight. She took her camera out and started to take pictures of the views that calmed her.

Ruby jumped when a voice said, "I thought you were gone."

She turned to see the person who had spoken. He spoke again, "I saw you earlier with the farmers."

Ruby stood up from her place and faced him, "I didn't harm them. Besides, you have said that I can stay here for a week and did you follow me, Alpha Eric?"

Eric stood taller and said, "I never said that... I just thought that nothing was left here for you."

Ruby returned her eyes to the lake and said, "I don't." She turned back to Eric and continued, "But don't worry, I will be gone by tomorrow."

Eric nodded at her words and Ruby sat under the same tree looking at the view. He asked Ruby again, "Were you telling the truth?"

Ruby asked, "When?"

Eric said, "When you said that rogues can... feel?"

Ruby looked at Eric with a disbelieving look and said, "How can you ask me that? We are like you, we also feel. Whatever I said was the truth. Leave me alone. I will be gone by tomorrow."

Eric was paralysed by her words and he didn't know what to do. Ruby took her camera once again and continued to take pictures of the little ducks following their mother. She smiled at what she was witnessing, as she remembered about Elena.

Eric asked after a few minutes, "Why are you taking pictures?"

Ruby shrugged her shoulders and said, "To show someone special this beautiful sight."

Eric said with an agitated voice, "And who would that be?"

Ruby looked at him and stared at his eyes. She sighed and admitted with a smile, "For my daughter. She wanted me to take pictures of whatever I see."

Eric asked in disbelieve, "A daughter?"

Ruby narrowed her eyes and asked, "Why, can't I have a daughter? Is it against the rogue rules?"

Eric dropped his eyes for the first time and said, "I didn't mean that way."

Ruby stood up and announced, "I should go. It is getting dark."

Eric suggested, "As the nine Alphas are present on my land, I have invited them to have dinner together."

Ruby asked, "What are you suggesting?"

Eric said in a steady voice, "You should join."

Ruby shook her head and said, "After yesterday, I shouldn't."

Eric ignored what I said and continued, "Let's go."

Ruby lifted her eyebrow and asked, "Didn't you hear what I said?"

Eric nodded, "I did. Now can we go?"

Ruby dropped her shoulders and the remaining tension and agreed to go with him. He asked her to enter his car and they drove till his house in silence. Ruby wasn't sure what to say, as for the events of yesterday and a few hours ago.

She stole some sights in his way along the car ride, she could see that he gripped the wheel tightly and the clear tension rolled inside of him.

Ruby was about to speak to calm down but they reached his house. He got out of the car, leaving Ruby alone inside of it, and he walked inside. Ruby took her seat belt off and got out of the car.

*****

Read, vote and comment!