Chapter 21

She started walking inside and found an empty entrance, but she started to hear some voices in the other room. Ruby started to walk and she ended up at the dining room full of Alphas drinking and talking.

Ruby saw Eric sitting already at the table drinking a brown liquid. He was staring at her and Ruby stood there unsure of what to do. Finally, her wolf was able to give her some confidence. She put on a façade and cleared her throat. Nobody gave her any attention, so she tried again, "Good evening, gentlemen."

Everyone around the table turned towards where was standing. Ruby didn't fall or dropped her eyes, instead, she stared at each one of them and finally landing on Eric. She could see the faint smirk but quickly was replaced with coldness.

Ruby walked to the only available chair, which was next to Eric. The maid came and placed her plate full of food in front of Ruby. She smiled at the food, remembering it was one of her pack's favourite. Steak with mashed potatoes.

She was about to eat, when Ben spoke, "Not to be rude, but what you doing here?"

Ruby looked at his direction, then Eric's. Ruby realised that he wouldn't give an answer, so she spoke, "I was invited by him."

She stared at the rest of the Alphas and they were staring at their food and some eating it. Ruby took that opportunity to dig in and sure she was happy of what was in front of her. The next couple of minutes on cutlery was heard and breathing from each Alpha. Finally, Daniel asked, "What is about you that they made you their Alpha?"

Ruby dropped her knife and fork slowly and stared at the individual that had spoken. She said, "Before I joined my pack, I saved two wolves."

Ethan suggested, "And?"

Ruby smiled and said, "I am one of them."

After that, the silence returned and everyone continued eating, including Ruby. They had finished the main course and the maid was distributing the deserts. Ruby was waiting for her when her phone started ringing. She was about to stand up, when Eric said in a loud voice, so everyone could hear, "You can talk here. I can't risk you attacking me, now can I?"

Ruby was confused by his demand. They had talked on the lakeside and even then he didn't trust her. She sighed and nodded. Ruby picked her phone up and brought a smile to her voice. She said, "Hello."

Eric demanded again, "Speaker." Ruby tried to ignore him but he continued, "If you don't do it, then I will throw you in my personal prison."

Ruby was left surprised. She was getting angry but agreed and she clicked on the speak button on the middle of the table. On the other line said, "Can you hear me, Mummy?"

Ruby forgot about the rest of the Alphas and smiled while staring at the phone. She answered her daughter, "Yes, I can sweetheart." Ruby started to get worried and continued, "Is everything okay?"

Ruby heard a sigh and Elena said, "Yes, Mummy. Uncle Dylan was making fun of my tears."

Ruby was alert and asked, "Why were you crying?"

Elena whispered, "I fell and I started crying."

Ruby advised, "Dear, you need to be careful. And you have my full approval to prank your Uncle Dylan. You can tell Uncle Isaac to help you."

Elena agreed, "Okay, Mummy. I love you."

Ruby said, "I love you too."

Elena asked, "Mummy, I miss you. When are you coming back?"

Ruby thought that she would give Elena a surprise. She answered, "Soon."

Elena said, "Okay, Mummy. I am going to sleep. Good night!"