Mistress' Death

This is chapter 41! :)

Sorry for the long wait for this chapter. I'm going through a lot recently and even now I'm sick. Plus this chapter is so full of emotions that it's super hard to write. But please do enjoy this chapter! :)

Oh and hey WHAT IS THAT?! YES! Love In The Palace finally has a trailer! Please do check it out! It's made by LidiyaKolonina
She's very patient with me and she's definitely a good partner to work with! You all should check out her profile and if you need any trailer, I recommend her! :)

---

Recap: in the previous chapter, Consort Lana revealed everything to Crown Prince. Crown Prince was so devastated and heart-broken. He saw Jade in her lowest state and finally decided to let her leave the palace because that is the only way she can survive.

---

"Mistress, your soup is here." Lis speaks in her casual straight tone, heartless and merciless after Crown Prince has left Jade's quarters.

Both the girls can hear very clearly the woman's voice outside, but they just look at each other without spouting a single word. Rowena hastily wipes off her tears with her sleeves and heads to the front, opening the doors for Lis. Lis, presumably the highest-ranking lady-in-waiting, carries the poisonous soup inside without batting a second look at Rowena. She finds Jade who is painstakingly propping herself up with both her hands.

"Mistress, please." Jade only gives an eyeful at the unpleasingly dark brown almost black-coloured soup.

"There is...no need for the soup anymore."

"Yes?"

"Please...tell the Empress... I will leave the palace..."

---

What is trust? It is the most fragile thing that one can ever have. It breaks so easily with merely a single accidental touch. Yet, it is the hardest thing to repair ever, even harder than the legendary precious jadeite. He thought that there is at least someone trustworthy in the palace, someone to trust and someone to confide in. Now, that person is gone, she has left the palace, forever. She may never return anymore, unless fate says otherwise.

He watches as the birds scatter away from an unprecedented burst of wind blowing past the trees. They all, with their wings, go to many different directions, but most certainly they are all headed to places outside the palace. Then he watches as a bird which wing has been injured is left on the grounds, unable to move, unable to fly, unable to escape this golden cage.

He is just like that injured bird, as all the birds have left him alone in a place that has thick layers of fog blocking the sight of the future. He can no longer predict his future. In fact, he has never been able to. He can never predict that Seventh Princess, his love, will be married to the North. He can never predict that a Mistress will leave the palace for good. He can never predict that he has matured so much.

Maybe the reason she left the palace for good was because of him, because he once placed an interest in her, not because of love, but because he needs the warmth of someone who is able to empathize, or at least sympathize with him, despite knowing that she is the Mistress. The people he wants to keep always leave, yet those that he wants to be gone, stay. He has lost people whom he can trust in the palace, his main source of comfort, his main source of serenity. The two women, excluding Consort Shine, who are the most important people in his life. They have flown away from the palace, never to return anymore.