Chapter Thirty

Author's Note:

GUYS DONT HATE ME I'M SORRY.

xoxo,
Q.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

No one has to tell me where I am. As soon as I regain consciousness, I know exactly where I am. I’ve gotten used to this sound. I slowly blink my eyes open and squint as I get used to the bright white lights.

I groan slightly, suddenly feeling my entire body aching.

“Luke!”

Alana’s by my side. Her eyes are red and puffy, like she’s been crying, and her hair is messily put up. She’s got sweatpants and a t-shirt on, which is really unlike Alana.

“Lana…” I mumble. “Was it Bryce again?”

Alana stares at me. “Do you not remember?”

I stare right back, not saying anything, but this is apparently enough of an answer for Alana.

“Holy shit, Luke…” she murmurs, quietly, looking downright depressing.

“What?” I demand. “What happened?”

Alana opens her mouth, about to answer, when the door opens.

“Hey Alana, Katy’s bringing some coffee, I thought—” Emery stops when he sees me.

I feel my heart drop, rattling against my ribs.

He looks absolutely awful. He has huge purple bags under his eyes, and his eyes are completely bloodshot. His cheeks are hollow, he looks skinnier than usual, he’s in a baggy old shirt and his hands seem to be trembling.

“You’re awake.” He says, matter-of-factly.

“Yeah…” I say, warily, unsure of his behavior.

Tears start to fall from his eyes, shattering my heart as easily as if it were made of glass.

“Emery…” I say, my eyes widening, scared.

“You bastard!” he screams. “I heard the whole thing on the phone and I had no idea what happened to you! You’ve had me worried sick for days!”

He collapses into a chair and starts to flat-out sob.

“I thought you died.” He chokes out, curling up and hugging his knees to his chest.

I stare at Alana, alarmed now.

“Alana, what happened?” I say, with a sense of urgency.

Emery looks up.

“He doesn’t remember?” he asks Alana.

She hesitates, but then shakes her head, looking absolutely miserable.

“Anything?” Emery croaks, looking back at me.

I don’t say anything, but the blank look on my face says all he needs to hear.

“Oh.” He says, standing up robotically.

“Emery…” Alana says, standing up as well.

“It’s fine.” He replies, sounding oddly unemotional all of a sudden. And then, after one more glance at me, he walks back out of the room.

I turn to Alana.

“Tell me everything. Now.” I insist.

Alana sighs, sitting back down.