Six

She has been on the phone for hours, her mom just wouldn't hang up. She was late for class and her mom wouldn't stop crying, she didn't know why at first but she thought the worst.
Her sister had sadly past away from a sickness the doctors couldn't figure out, she was only 10.

Mercy and her sister were very close, before she left home to attend school they were inseparable. Her sister was the reason she wanted to stay home and she didn't even know her sister was sick.

"What a great sister I am" she thought

Yet,

She wasn't crying like her mother was, she didn't really feel anything at all. She was in shock, its like she forgot how breathe or do anything. She just stood against the wall in the hallway and waited for her mother to stop talking, once she did she hung up and threw the telephone against the wall as it bounced towards the floor still connected to the wall.

She wanted to miss class, she wanted to run away and deal with her problems alone. She couldn't though, it would just worry her mother knowing one of the professors would somehow tell her mother she skipped class.

Instead of looking sad she marched down the hallway towards her class with her head up because she knew one wrong thought and she would break.

She slowly walked into the class watching all the students eyes land on her as she's usually the first student here. The professor looked disappointed at the girl as she approached him with her head down and whispered that she's dealing with something right now. The professor nodded understandably and continued teaching as she stood looking for a seat.

Her regular seat was taken by a popular girl called Misty, she didn't want to sit anywhere near her. She looked around when her eyes fell onto the boy with the case. He sat alone near the back with his case taking the seat next to him, she walked up to the table in front of him and nervously sat down.
She didn't bother taking her books out as she knew she would have to leave early, something would trigger her.

She fiddled with the pins on her bag as one popped off and rolled onto the floor, she looked around and noticed it lied flat on its front underneath the boy's seat.

She slowly turned around as she panicked, this was the first time she was going to talk to him.

"I do apologize but would you mind grabbing my pin?" She mumbles avoiding eye contact with the boy

He nods slowly bending over and picking up the pin, he cautiously hands her the item.

"Thank you" she says staring at the pin

It was her Hufflepuff pin, the one her sister had gotten her before she left.

She slowly turns around pinning it to her dress instead of her bag as the boy speaks up again,

"I-I'm Newt"

She looks at him trying to look at his eyes but fail for a moment before she does make eye contact

"Mercy"

A small smile appears on his lips but she only looks at him longer, somehow talking to him makes her feel better.