Nineteen

"You know," Kai says, stretching his feet out onto the coffee table, leaning back into the couch cushions. "You offended me last night."

I look up from the same newspaper that lays outside every repeating day of May 10th and raise an eyebrow at him. "You don't even get offended."

"Well, if I did, what you did would've offended me."

I roll my eyes, sighing and lowering the newspaper onto my lap. "Okay, I'll bite. What'd I do to hurt your nonexistent feelings?"

"You didn't sleep in my bed last night."

I snort. "Why would I? You did the spell. My nightmares are gone."

He looks over at me with an expression of mock shock. "Wow, you use a guy for his magic and then abandon him. I'm really hurt."

I roll up the newspaper and hit him in the arm with it. He responds with an exaggerated "Ow!"

"It was a one time thing, Kai," I say, sighing, unrolling the newspaper. "So don't think it'll happen again because it won't. I shouldn't have done it."

He pauses and I see him smiling out of the corner of my eye when he speaks again. "Are we still talking about you sleeping in my bed? Or your little thank you yesterday?"

I clench my jaw. "Both."

Kai laughs under his breath and leans closer to me, his lips by my ear now, breath on my skin. My body automatically tenses at his proximity. I don't want him so close to me, not after what I did yesterday. I'm afraid that I'll do it again, and who knows what will happen then?

"Eventually, you'll stop trying to deny your attraction to me and it'll happen again, Charlie. Trust me," He whispers in my ear. I swallow hard at that statement, worried that he might be right.

I shove him away from me, throwing the newspaper down onto the table and getting to my feet, turning on him. "God, you're full of it. I was just caught in the moment and it happened, alright? It didn't mean anything. I don't want you so get your head out of your ass, Kai. It won't be happening again. Ever."

The entire time I spoke, Kai's grin never left his face, pissing me off even further.

"I can't stand you," I tell him, that shit eating grin on his face forcing the words out of me.

"You like me."

"I want to punch you."

"You want to kiss me."

I groan loudly, picking up a pillow from the couch and hitting him with it repeatedly. He throws his hands up to protect his face, snickering. His snickers made me hit him harder.

Then, before I can react, he lurches forward to grab my forearms tightly and swings me over to the couch. I squeal at the unexpected move, my back hitting the cushions. He leans over me, his face hovering above mine and his hands remain curled around my arms, restraining me from shoving him off.

"You can keep hitting me all you want, if you think that's what's gonna get all your frustration out," He tells me lowly, eyes glancing down to my lips and back up. "But eventually, it won't be enough. You're going to want to stop resisting temptation. And..." he leans down, closer. "Give in."

His face is so close to mine now and the urge to close the distance between our lips is strong. I stare at his mouth, licking my lips.

Then, I push him back, causing him to fall onto the other end of the couch, watching me with raised eyebrows. I shake my head, swinging my legs onto the floor and standing up.