f o u r t y

THE NEXT FEW DAYS TOOK TOO LONG TO PASS. It was as if Liam had disappeared from my life; absent in my mind and avoiding me in life. It pained and confused me at once.

Was there really a reason for Liam to avoid him? It wasn't as if I told him that I loved someone else. I told him the truth; that I was cursed... That Blayze Walker was also destined to be my mate forever. I had tried to be honest with him... Was that so wrong?

"And how long have you known?" he had muttered under his breath. "When did you find about the curse?"

"The day Blayze came to the pack house, I sensed the bond and-"

"So, you've known for that long, huh? Five entire days..."

"Liam," I had replied. "So much has happened since then and-"

"I get it." His voice had been completely flat, with not even a hint of emotion. "Good night, Weslyn."

At that moment, the way he had called me 'Weslyn' and spoke in an icy cold voice... I knew that a part of him was broken.

And I knew that I was the one who had broken him.

But was that all? Was that the end to us? He had promised me so long ago... He told me that he would love me forever. Was that a lie?

No... My eyes fluttered closed, as I felt tears prickle at my eyes. His promise wasn't a lie. Liam would never lie to me.

Forever... Just wasn't possible.

"Weslyn!" a voice yelled from outside my door, dragging me out of my trance. "Weslyn!" I shuffled up to the door and unlocked it, only to see West standing before me. "By Luna, if you're in there, then answer me!" I didn't answer for an entire minute but only stared at him.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled. His eyes widened as I stepped out of my room and closed the door behind me.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing."

When reached the dining room, I found a several members of the pack occupying it. Many others were hanging in the hall and the remaining were outside. As I skimmed over them, only one person seemed to be missing.

"Where's Mary?" I asked, turning to look at West.

"Now that you mention it..." he began. "I haven't seen her all day." He paused. "Michael's been missing since lunchtime, as well."

"Both of them?" I murmured quietly. Before I could say anything else, Anna grabbed me by the shoulder.

"Come on, it's time to eat," she ordered. "You haven't eaten anything else since the morning." She grabbed my wrist and lead me to the dining table.

"Good evening, Alpha," the pack members chorused, bowing their heads in submission. I smiled slightly in response, allowing them to return to their conversations.

I sunk into the seat next to Anna and watched, as the others on the table continued to eat. I picked up my fork and idly fiddled with it, avoiding the gaze of those around me.

"For the love of Luna, do you really think that starving yourself will change anything?"  Anna muttered under her breath. "I probably shouldn't interfere because I don't know what happened between the two of you... But isn't there a way to fix it?"

I didn't reply but shut my eyes lightly. Was there? Was there really a way to mend the Soulmate Bond? Or had I already damaged it beyond repair?

"Excuse me." It was his voice. I glanced up to see Liam standing up from his seat. "Thank you for the meal," he said, looking straight at Anna.

It hurt. He refused to look at me and pretended that I didn't exist. It hurt more than any kind of physical pain I had ever felt before.

I slammed my palms onto the table and stood up before him. Tears prickled in my eyes as I stared at him. He didn't even glance at me and turned to leave.

"William," the tone of my voice commanded him to stay. "I need to speak with you."

"There's nothing to talk about, Alpha Grayson." I couldn't ignore the pain in my chest. He didn't even call me Weslyn...

"But I have-"

A large bang on the front door interrupted me and caught everyone's attention. Martyn carefully walked towards the door and pulled it open.

"Great," Liam gritted out through his teeth; his eyes darkening to black. "Just great."

In the doorway, stood the Brown Wolf, who had changed everything. His brown hair was wildly tousled and his face was pale with fear.

"Blayze," I whispered.