10

Pregnant

Pregnant

Nine Months Later

Natalie sat at her desk, the chair pushed far back in order to make room for her baby bump.

She had a pint of ice cream sitting on top of her stomach, using it as a table of sorts.

Shane was working a case with Rick. Natalie didn't expect him home for a while.

He hated leaving her alone for too long, fearful that she would go into labor and he wouldn't be able to take her to the hospital.

She basically had to beg him to go to work in the morning.

Natalie knew Lori was at home alone, too, so she picked up the phone and started dialing the number.

"Are you in labor?" Lori asked immediately.

"Nope. Just bored as hell. What about you? Gone into early labor?" Natalie asked.

"God, I hope not," Lori joked. 

"Well, I did learn a new trick today. My bump doubles as a table, which is pretty damn exciting if you ask me," Natalie said, laughing.

"God, its crazy to think that in a couple months we'll both have newborns to take care of. That's weird as hell," Lori said.

All of a sudden, Natalie felt a warm trickle of fluid on her thigh.

"Shit," she said.

"What? Are you okay?" Lori asked quickly.

"Can't decide if my water just broke or if the seven pound baby pressing on my bladder just caused me to pee," Natalie said.

"What do you mean you can't decide?" Lori asked, obviously trying not to laugh.

"Just give me a minute," Natalie said.

The pair sat in silence for a couple of minutes. Then Natalie felt the first contraction.

"Shit. Yup, it's labor. I'll call you later. I just gotta go push a baby out of my body real quick," Natalie joked.

"Oh my goodness! Should I call Shane?" Lori asked frantically.

"I'm in labor, I'm not incompetent. I can handle it, Lori," Natalie said with a laugh.

She immediately regretted laughing because that made the contraction worse. She hung up on Lori and dialed Shane's number.

"Shane Walsh," said Shane when he answered the phone.

Natalie rolled her eyes because she knew he was too lazy to set up caller ID.

"Babe," Natalie said.

"What's going on? Are you okay?" Shane asked, a panicked tone in his voice.

"Labor?" Shane asked frantically.

"Labor," Natalie responded calmly.

"Oh shit! Okay. I'm on my way," Shane said frantically.

Natalie could hear the sound of Shane frantically shouting orders at Rick and then the sound of sirens blaring and tires screeching over the receiver. 15 minutes later, the cop car pulled up in front of the Walsh's house. Shane all but jumped from the still moving car, running towards the house.

"I'm honestly fine, Shane," Natalie said, trying to reassure her panicking husband.

"We need to go. Right now," said Shane, grabbing their already-packed hospital bags and leading Natalie towards the car.

"You're taking me to the hospital in the cop car?" Natalie asked, trying not to laugh.

"Police escort!" Rick called from behind the wheel.

A small chuckle escaped Natalie's lips as she loaded into the backseat of the cop car. Shane looked like he was having a heart attack.

"Having second thoughts?" Natalie asked, a smirk on her face, despite the contractions.

"You know, this baby isn't out of me yet, you still have time to run. By the time he comes, you could already be in Mexico," Natalie joked.

"But my super hot wife and my super cute kid aren't in Mexico," Shane said, a small smile forming on his face.

22 hours later, Natalie and Shane had a beautiful baby boy. He was 7 pounds and 4 ounces. They named him Nicholas James Walsh, after both of their grandfathers. Shane couldn't stop looking at him. He was in awe of his new son. He stepped outside the hospital room to see Rick and Lori standing in the hallway. Shane held his finger up to his lips, signaling for them to be quiet as he led them into the room. Natalie smiled when she saw the Grimes walk in. She waved to them softly, trying not to wake the baby in her arms because he was finally quiet and asleep.

"How is it possible that you still look this good after having a baby?" Lori scoffed.

"It's a talent," Natalie said with a wink, making them all laugh.

• • •