24

Read Authors Note at the end of this chapter, please.

T W E N T Y - F O U R

I was in the home of the Petrovics. That was the first thing I realized as I finally gathered the strength to open my eyes. My vision was a little disoriented and blurry at first, but once everything settled down I found myself gazing towards the ceiling. I was back in the small and quaint room I was lucky enough to call my own. And though my body was aching with pain, my head pounding from an oncoming headache — I still found myself mustering up a small yet prominent smile of contentment.

I haven't been gone for long but so much has happened while I was. So much so that I still seemed to be processing through it all.

"Your awake."

Curtly turning my head towards the door, I looked to Alec. He stood under the threshold of the door, his shoulder leaning amongst the wood structure. His green eyes as always were bright, luminous, and piercing. So pure and mesmerizing.

"How long have I been out?" I questioned. My voice was raspy and hoarse as I let my curiosity get the best. Slowly I pushed myself up to lean my back against the heap of pillows behind my head. My face slightly scrunching into one of discomfort as I did so.

"Three days." Alec's response was curt, to the point, and highly vague. It reminded me of the fact that before I left he brushed me off with the coldest attitude he could offer someone. One that I still happened to rack my brain just for the cause of it.

I didn't say anything. Instead I turned my head to stare back at the ceiling. Ignoring the need to express myself to Alec, I just didn't have the energy too at the moment.

"Could you send Mischa in here." This was no question but a mere statement of slight demanding. Alec's presence was nearly suffocating and I didn't want to be bothered by it all at right now. At least not yet.

"Ellanore–... there's something I wanted to tell you." From the slight pause and odd change of tone that rest in his voice, I knew that whatever it was that Alec had to say would have me over the edge. So going against my better judgement to just give him a chance and listen out to what he has to say, I rolled over to my side and faced the wall. Ignoring the slight discomfort and pain that trailed through my body.

I could sense the hesitation rolling of Alec like some form of magnetic waves. I could tell that what he had to say was of some importance, but I was honestly in no state to listen. My body was still overwhelmed with exhaustion, my mind was racing with over a million questions it seemed, and if I had to admit... I kind of wanted to avoid having that talk with Alec. I hated to brush him off with not knowing what he had to say, but I also appreciate him even more for applying to my needs and giving me the time and space that I needed.

It was no more than half an hour later before Mischa sauntered through the door herself. Her hands supporting a tray that contained a plate of food and a glass of ice cold water. "Don't worry, Celia prepared the food." She lightly joked. The corners of her mouth lifting to form a small yet noticeable smile of humor. "You've been out for a few days, we figured you'd need something to rejuvenate yourself." She said, placing the tray on my lap while taking a seat at the foot of the bed.

Thanking her, I slowly pushed myself to sit up. Careful to not knock the tray down as I hastily chugged half the glass of water. The cold liquid felt relieving as it rushed down my dry throat.