Poem

Hey everyone!

FYI I've made the decision to update wattpad on Wednesdays, so you can expect more consistent updates from me. Also, if you want to read any of my most recent work, feel free to check out my blog, DallasRey.com (which I will do my best to update on Saturdays).

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy. Please vote and comment. And Happy Holidays.

~

"What do you think we'll name him or her?"

"I always loved the name Sophia. But I haven't thought of any boy names."

"Oh, but do you think we'll have a boy or a girl?"

"I have no idea. I'll love whichever comes."

"I just know that our baby's going to have your eyes,"

"And your smile,"

April and Abel went back and forth. April was on bedrest and wasn't allowed to do much else other than sit and sleep, so Abel kept her company. They would talk or he would read April's favorite books to her for as long as her strength would allow her to sit up, talk and listen. He would then tuck her in and allow her to rest.

Abel was ecstatic that April was expecting, but it hurt his heart to see her feeling so weak. He talked to her in order to get her mind off of her physical condition. He knew that she was growing restless just sitting in bed all day.

April lied facing the ceiling. Abel's head rested on her stomach and she stroked his hair. His arms wrapped around her torso and his feet dangled from the bed. Abel could feel April's heart beating through her warm skin. He waited until he heard her breathing even out before he carefully and soundlessly slipped away.

He went into the study and brought out pen and a paper, inspired once again by her presence. He set to work on a poem for her. The next time they talked, he wanted to have something special to read to her in order to fill her day with light.

The next morning April awoke to find Abel already there, asleep by her side. He had held onto her from behind, draping his arm over her waste and falling asleep that way. As April stirred, his eyelids fluttered open. "Goodmorning," she said. He smiled and slowly sat upright. She did the same.

"I have something for you," he said.

April smiled, "What is it?"

"I wrote it last night," Abel said. He helped her into a comfortable position and kissed her cheek. He reached for his journal on the dresser, flipped to the proper page and read his poem.

"One thousand little primroses hidden in my hand

or a thousand tiny seashells tucked low in the sand

Are like the thousands of touches that I earnestly crave

To bestow upon you in waves and waves

Of passion and beauty,

Sweet longing and lust

Until my soul is in Heaven

And my body is dust,"

At this point, Abel no longer needed his journal for reference. The words he had written were penned into his memory and he could easily recall them. Looking deep into April's eyes, he continued his poem, reciting it by heart. With each word, he captivated her.

"I want to kiss you in your most secret place

I want to fill my lungs with the heat of your embrace

I fall deeper under your spell with each passing day

I regret every minute that I am away

Every second and every moment that I'm not wrapped around you

Is a moment lost to mediocrity, loneliness and gloom

With you the sun shines a little brighter

With you I skip through my day

You make my heart significantly lighter

You keep my doubts and fears at bay

This child that you hold within you

The one that we're dreaming of

Will forever be the heavenly reminder 

Of the woman I love."

April was breathless and wordless. She could only look at the man who held her heart so firmly. He smiled at her and she smiled back. He took her hand in his and placed his other on her cheek. Gently and slowly, he pulled her in for a kiss. "Thank you," she whispered against his lips. "Anything for you," he whispered as he laid her gently against the sheets.