22

A/N: SORRY FOR THE MAJOR DELAY! Even more than last time, wow. Well, hopefully the chapters length can make up for that.

Before we get into the long-awaited chapter, a quick note: there's a mini "split-path" in this chapter! I won't spoil it, but you'll know it when you see "*****." Alright? You'll know what to do from there, I'm sure of it. Just find the bold heading that applies to you.

Onto the chapter!

|--| |--| |--|

______ woke up to something she hoped wouldn't become a habit: Morrow was jumping on her, excited and trying to lick her face.

"Eek!" she cried out, sitting up. Morrow only seemed to grow happier, his tails wagging as he put his head in her free hand. She sighed, petting the dog. "Why are you waking me up so early in the morning, boy?"

The dog jumped off her bed, and as she followed him out of the room, he pushed open the mostly-closed door to Newt's room. ______ stood outside the door, hesitant to go inside. Passing the window, she saw that it was barely even light outside, and she didn't expect that Newt would be up so early.

Morrow began to whine a little in the room, wanting her to follow him in. ______ drew in a sharp breath. "Not so loud!" she whispered. "You'll wake him up. I'm coming, I'm coming." She looked around, as if making sure no one would see her (even though she knew they were the only two in the house) and headed into the room.

Newt was still fast asleep in bed, his hair dangling in front of his face in his sleep. As she looked at him, it reminded her of back in New York, when she had come into his room that one time and heard him mumble her name in his sleep. I still want to know what that was about, she thought to herself. As Morrow made another small whine though, she turned her attention to him. "What is it buddy?" she asked.

Morrow went up to Newt's case and laid down next to it, as if trying to say he wanted something inside the case. Then it hit her.

Morrow wanted food, and Newt probably had all of it in his case.

She looked over at Newt. The only time she had been in his case without him was when he had told her to hide in there. She didn't want to intrude, but at the same time, Morrow needed to eat. "Sorry," she whispered to Newt. She looked at the case and opened the latches, stepping inside with Morrow following her.

Once inside, Morrow ran right over to where Newt kept some of the food, sniffing it and trying to grab at it with his paw. ______ laughed softly. "Alright, I'll get you some." Moving past Morrow, she opened the door to the little storage space, looking at all the food in front of her. Which one of these is dog food? She thought to herself.

"It's the round container," ______ heard a voice from behind her.

As she spun around, she saw Newt in his night clothes, jumping down the rest of the ladder. "Sorry!" ______ exclaimed, stepping away from the food and looking at him. "Morrow wanted food, and you were still asleep. I didn't want to wake you up."

"I'm not upset," he told her, smiling slightly. "I was just surprised. You left the case open, you know."

"Sorry..." she trailed off. "Anyways, good morning."

"Good morning," he told her. He kneeled down, grabbing the container Morrow had been sniffing and opening it, pouring some out onto the lid. Morrow ate it hastily, and Newt turned back to her. "Do you want to help me feed the rest of them?"

"I always do," she said excitedly. As Newt grabbed some of the other food, they went around, helping feed everyone else.

When it came to the Bowtruckles, Pickett came out from the pocket of Newt's nightshirt. He ran up to his hand, grabbing the food Newt had in his hands. "Pickett," Newt began. "Do you really not want to be with the rest of them? They're not going to bully you."